Talk

Advanced search

Help! Won't eat sandwiches!

(7 Posts)
ipukepoodles Mon 26-Sep-11 14:58:58

Hi all, my 1yo ds wont eat sandwiches, i wanted him to start having them for lunch then a cooked meal for tea, however, he has quite happily eaten bread/toast before but now he won't touch it! Yesterday, i made sandwiches with jam in, rolled them up so he couldn't take them apart but he cried and cried and refused it all and had no lunch (but quite happily ate when i fed him!) and today i tried again and just pushes them away. I wouldn't mind but i know he's happily eaten bread before and just wants to be fed from a spoon. Has anyone got any ideas?! Iv'e tried different fillings in the sandwiches too but just spits them out!

belledechocchipcookie Mon 26-Sep-11 15:19:09

A slice of bread and butter, some fruit, a little cheese and some ham all separate? confused

cheekyginger Mon 26-Sep-11 16:25:28

Could you use pitta breads instead? And make wee pockets to fill. Or use them as soldiers?

As long as he is getting fibre in his diet you shouldn't worry what format he's getting it in. Especially if he's having a cooked meal every night.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 02-Oct-11 16:28:35

My DD would often refuse sandwiches at that age but would happily eat things like a round of bread and butter, some meat and a few other bits like cucumber on her plate. Have you tried giving it to him as belted suggests?

Other things you could try are things like Wrappy Uppy Dinner, soup, cheese on toast, eggy bread. Another thing you could try is leftovers from yesterday or there are some lunch suggestions here.

Think though that I can kind of see his point of view, if I was given sandwiches every day I would start refusing them after a while too......

Allboxedin Sun 02-Oct-11 16:36:59

My dd1 is now 2 and still won't eat any form of bread. Never has. Maybe try some cereals or something. Porridge or weetabix ?

Iggly Mon 03-Oct-11 20:05:19

I don't give DS sandwiches - well he just pulls apart mine anyway. I think he likes to see the components of his food - same with pittas, he'll pull them apart to see what's inside. He has a cooked meal at every lunch.

Silly question but why do you want to give sandwiches for lunch?

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 03-Oct-11 20:19:40

ipuke how is he getting on now? Have you had a better week?

Iggly think its a northern thing, you have breakfast and either a proper cooked dinner or tea and the other meal is sandwiches. Tis the law, or at least you would think so with half my family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now