Talk

Advanced search

He seems ready but...

(5 Posts)
Polglas Sun 25-Sep-11 20:45:53

DS is just about 5 months and is showing all the signs of being ready. We do BLW, worked a treat with DD (started with sun dried tomatoes and chicken at 4 months and was on squid by 6!!!). But although my boy is grabbing the food (broccoli/potato/carrot) shoving it in his mouth and seems delighted with himself the taste causes him to vomit up his last BF feed even if it was 2 hours earlier - and quite alot of it too. Still drinking fine/sleeping well/growing and jolly/nearly crawling but food is a funny one. We held off a few days but today was no better. Does anyone have any thoughts? Ready in his head but not in his gut?

Dartfordmummy Tue 27-Sep-11 18:33:05

Maybe the food is too much for him. They are supposed to have just milk until 6 months when apparently their stomachs are more ready for food.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 28-Sep-11 09:26:18

Agree with Dartford, 5 months is still very young and while some babies do cope with weaning at that age many don't. There is some information here on why its best to wait.

I'd try again at 6 months and then if the problem continues I'd speak to your GP just to rule out any physical reason.

suzikettles Wed 28-Sep-11 09:30:28

Could it be his gag reflex making him vomit rather than anything to do with taste?

If so, it may be that he needs to be a bit older if you want to do BLW.

coraltoes Thu 29-Sep-11 16:07:50

If the foodis just veg or potato, then it may be that he isn't ready. If you are trying sun dried tomatoes or more acidic items it could just be curdling and coming straight back up. I know I am sick as a dog if i have citrus after milk, let alone a tiddly baby. Have you tried to see what happens if you offer something mushed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now