Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

sweet gums!

(10 Posts)
littlepinkfizz Sun 25-Sep-11 19:09:42

my 7mth old seems to have a really sweet tooth and it is usually a battle to begin with for him to eat any dinner.,even if it is sweet potato or butternut squash. he much prefers fruit, even tart purees with natural yoghurt. What should I do? I;m still breast feeding him

bankholiday Mon 26-Sep-11 07:11:40

Just keep offering him vegetables, it can sometimes take a baby up to 16 times to accept a new taste. Or maybe combine fruit with vegetables, mostly fruit to start with, then gradually decrease the amount of fruit so it's only vegetables left.

Flisspaps Mon 26-Sep-11 08:10:20

Babies and children will naturally go for the sweetest option available as it is often the highest in sugar, therefore it's the highest calorie and highest energy option - it's what they're programmed to do (as are we as adults!)

Keep offering the veg, don't let him see the fruit/yoghurt until afterwards.

littlepinkfizz Mon 26-Sep-11 10:27:56

will do-thank you!

lilham Mon 26-Sep-11 13:30:53

I keep repeating to myself what bankholiday says too whenever my daughter doesn't like something I offer. "A baby takes up to 16 times to accept a new taste". grin Weaning is just about them exploring flavours, so it's important we push the boundaries a bit and not worry about food rejection.

katesterb Tue 27-Sep-11 15:25:21

My ds is very similar, he likes fruit and fruit and yogurt. He even likes sweet root vegetables but as soon as it is a green veg or something that is not sweet then he point blank refuses. He too is fully breastfed.

What do you do if they do refuse do you offer something they like instead - do they get the hang of refusing something so that they get something else that they like now? Do i just offer milk as an alternitive - wow this weaning thing is difficult!!

bankholiday Wed 28-Sep-11 09:08:53

Kate, I would say they are too young not to be given an alternative, however have you tried offering him the green vegetables as finger foods? Maybe steamed/boiled broccoli, asparagus, etc.

Completely agree that weaning is difficult...

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 28-Sep-11 11:01:46

littlepink have you ever tasted how sweet bm is? grin. Like Fliss says, there is a reason they go for the sweet things first. Stick with it, I've never met an adult that only eats fruit and yoghurt.

Kate don't worry if they keep refusing. If you LO is over 6 months do what bankholiday suggests and ofer green vegetables as finger foods. I would try offering them with other things too, like a bit of cheese or a strip of chicken, whatever you've got in really. Alternatively you could try something like this. That way its there's not so much pressure on them to eat the broccolli.

katesterb Fri 30-Sep-11 16:50:52

Thanks for the advise i have started on finger foods but taking it slowly for me i think more than anything. He has started sucking on toast and unsalted butter which he likes (kinda i think) and i bit a big chunk of my apple off today which he toothed with his two little bottom teeth. I am just building up the confidence really with this gagging thing. I am shopping tomorrow so will defo be looking for new things for him. Was going to try a cheese sauce with some veges to see.

littlepink - you made me laugh you are so right no you don't see yogurt and fruit only adults. I have to remember it is all new to him and he will get there eventually

thanks guys for your help!

littlepinkfizz Fri 30-Sep-11 20:43:50

DS not eating much better-no idea why-mayve he has secretly been checking out thid message! thanks for all your advice!:0

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now