Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is garam masala safe for babies?

(9 Posts)
HeidiKat Sat 24-Sep-11 14:34:45

I was eating a chickpea curry last night and gave 9 month old DD a bit of mushed up chickpea in the sauce to try, it wasn't an overly hot sauce and she has had mildly spiced things before and liked it. She seemed to really enjoy the chickpea curry and kept opening her mouth for more but I didn't want to give her too much as it was a ready meal and probably quite high in salt. I want to make her a low salt version of it with tinned chickpeas, some passata and some garam masala I have in the spice rack but DH says that it might not be suitable for her as it contains nutmeg, has anyone else used garam masala when cooking for babies?

lisad123 Sat 24-Sep-11 14:36:50

I use it alot in cooking, never considered it unsafe, I thought it was peanuts you have to be careful with.

WorzselMummage Sat 24-Sep-11 14:37:12

Both of my kids have been practicially weaned on curry, I wouldn't worry.

What's the problem with nutmeg?

HeidiKat Sat 24-Sep-11 14:40:09

Wow fast replies, thanks. Not sure what the problem with nutmeg is as DH couldn't remember exactly what he had heard. Should be fine to make that for her then.

littleomar Sat 24-Sep-11 14:42:40

nutmeg has hallucinogenic effects in large quantities. but very large quantities - I think an adult would need to eat a whole one, so the quantity in garam masala wouldn't be a problem.

boredbuthappy Thu 06-Oct-11 09:59:56

I've given my 7 month old garam masal, once so far, in a homemade lentil curry and he's been fine, so I plan to start incorporating more spices into his meals (in small quantities).
I say go for it, just don't overdo it!

Wurg Thu 06-Oct-11 10:04:50

hallucinogenic? really?
I am tempted to grate nutmeg directly into my mouth in vague attempt to liven up a boring morning.

ChunkyPickle Thu 06-Oct-11 10:05:30

I wouldn't worry about the garam masala, but a chickpea based meal sounds like a recipe for a rather windy baby...

Bitter experience has lead me to restrict mine's intake of lentils and chickpeas to only a small part of the meal, or he spends the whole night wriggling and farting..

nailak Thu 06-Oct-11 10:06:47

my kids all loved dahl and chuna curries when they were weanin, they still love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now