Talk

Advanced search

Water and milk during weaning?

(4 Posts)
AyeWhySWIM Fri 23-Sep-11 21:14:51

I've been told that water and milk given under a year should be boiled and cooled first. Now I've read here that ordinary milk is fine just not as a main drink? What about water? What about reactions to dairy? How would I be sure that it was the milk causing a problem rather than other new foods? Which brings me onto the question of whether to introduce one new food every few days - this also used to be the advice but Annabel Karmel bk says it isn't necessary?

So many questions! TIA but there seems to be zero support/advice on weaning in rl.

RuthChan Sat 24-Sep-11 18:23:41

Personally, I never boiled any water or other drinks that I gave to my DCs.
I weaned from 6 months of age and started to offer drinks of water with meals from fairly soon after that.
I didn't offer any milk to drink at all until they were about a year old.
I continued to bf until past a year and swapped onto cow's milk when I stopped.

With regards to knowing what is causing any reactions, I recommend introducing new foods one at a time and one every few days.
It is also best to introduce new foods early in the day so that any reactions that do happen, take place during waking hours and not in the middle of the night.

It's true that there is lots of conflicting advice and information out there.
I take this as meaning that there really is no right or wrong way to go about weaning. Follow your instincts and follow your child's lead. Do whatever feels right and what seems right for your child.

Flisspaps Sat 24-Sep-11 19:12:50

Ordinary cows milk is fine for using in food for a weaning baby, but milk as a drink should be either BM or formula made up in the usual way with water of approx 70 degrees C.

Tap water should also be fine but some people prefer to give cooled boiled water as a drink.

How often to introduce new foods is entirely up to you. Some people try one new food every few days Annabel Karmel-style, some try a couple of new foods every few days, and BLWers just feed baby whatever they're having so there's no gradual introduction of new foods.

Just do whatever you feel is right, or speak to the HV if you want some guidance smile

Seona1973 Sun 25-Sep-11 16:07:41

tap water is ok as a drink from 6 months - prior to that it should be boiled and cooled. Cows milk can be used in cereal and in cooking from 6 months and doesnt need to be boiled first. It shouldnt be given as the main drink before 1 year as it is low in iron and vitamins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now