Talk

Advanced search

DS is a fatty!

(9 Posts)
yumcha888 Thu 22-Sep-11 21:27:22

I've been weaning my 6.5mo DS for the past couple of weeks and I'm happy to say he loves food. We've been doing a mixture of BLW and purees and meal times have been really fun. The only thing is.... he doesn't seem to know when to stop eating. I'm following the Gina Ford book we get for free in the book start packs and he eats way more than her recommendations. For lunch today he had:

- 2 toast fingers
- 4 cubes of sweet potato
- 3 cubes of broccoli
- 1 cube of peach mixed with a little baby rice

In between each course he had some sips of water but not a lot and the afterwards he fed from both breasts.

Am I right in thinking that's a lot of food? I tried actually tried not to give him the peach but after the broccoli he screamed until he saw me open the freezer door only stopped fussing under he saw me plop a peach cube in his bowl (it was actually supposed to be for me - I eat them like sweets - should I be ashamed of that??).

I wouldn't worry but he is putting on weight and is a proper fatty now - he's starting to get a double chin... he looks like Cartman from South Park.

At the same time he's also started to wake several times during the night (4 times last night). I haven't tried to feed him back to sleep (as he can't need it, can he??) but he screams for up to 1.5 hours before finally dropping into a fitful sleep. Is it because I'm feeding him too much and he's uncomfortable.

Sorry for the long post - I just don't know what to do.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 23-Sep-11 10:06:11

Sorry yumcha but he does need it. At this age his main source of food should be your milk as it is more calorific. The La Leche League suggest bfing your baby an hour before offering solids, that way they will eat the solids but you know they are getting enough milk.

tiktok Fri 23-Sep-11 11:23:17

yumcha - your baby may need the comfort and closeness of being bf, and at 6.5 mths, he may well need the milk itself.....perhaps if you think the way he thinks you might reconsider letting him get so distressed for so long. He cannot understand why he is not being 'allowed' the milk and the person (!) that comforts and reassures him when he wakes in the night.

If you are worried about him gaining too much weight, check with your HV. She may well reassure you that all is well and he will lose some of the 'excess' when he starts moving as many babies do. Having said that, breastmilk is the way to go when thinking about ensuring a healthy weight. His solids sound fine, by the way - it's not as if you are giving him a load of sugary stuff.

MurunBuchstansangur Fri 23-Sep-11 11:26:42

<nosey> you got a book start pack? from whom? I didn't get one <sulks>

My DD weaned very enthusiastically too. I have had to make real efforts to get milk into her, including night feeding <sigh>

hillyhilly Fri 23-Sep-11 11:30:54

Feed the poor mite! Babies get really chubby between 6 and 9 months or so then as soon as they start crawling it melts away.
I find it v sad to think of your baby crying in the night and you not feeding him because he can't need it - what do you think he's telling you?
Do not worry about having a fat baby!

ShowOfHands Fri 23-Sep-11 11:32:29

He's making huge developmental leaps atm and if he's asking for night feeds and asking repeatedly (then taking an hour and a half to stop screaming), he's probably hungry and won't understand why you're denying him both the food and the comfort.

Offer milk before solids during the day as they really do still need a lot of calories from milk and you might find that if you let him feed at the first night waking, it will prevent some of the later wakings if he's hungry.

The amount of solids sounds fine btw.

DD at 6 months weight 25lbs and had a whopping appetite. She had rolls on rolls on rolls. She lost them when she started moving and her length/height was always the same centile as her weight. She turned into a v tall, slim, muscular toddler.

yumcha888 Fri 23-Sep-11 12:54:18

Fab! Thanks everyone. I'm really happy I'm not over stuffing my baby and I really like the bf-ing 1 hour before a feed advice. It was actually the bloody health visitor who told me to ignore his night wakings. I should have known better though as he puts himself to sleep brilliantly during the day so it must be something urgent if he screams during the night.

Muran the book start kit was from the HV. I'm not sure what was going on that day but everyone got a cloth bag with a few board books and Gina Ford's weaning book in it. I've seen them around all over the place since then so it can't be just my area.

grin very happy that I'm nt over stuffing my little fatty grin

cantmakecarrotcake Fri 23-Sep-11 16:22:42

How big are your cubes? I recall reading they should be 15ml (tbsp sized). But it's only veg so not many calories, they won't make him fat. Try adding a yoghurt or more toast?

My bloody HV always says 'go for it with family foods' at 6 months and often the weaning books go too slow. Better advice, imo, is to go at the pace of your own baby however fast or slow. If they're yumming it up, feed them, and if they're reluctant be patient and wait for them to 'get it'.

We still night feed at 8 months. Until he's taking 3 good meals a day he won't be getting all the calories he needs to go through the night. The bloody HV doesn't know YOUR baby and doesn't know if he does or doesn't need feeding at night.

We haven't had a bookstart kit either :-(

pettyprudence Fri 23-Sep-11 21:30:43

I bf DS and then make his food straight after so not much of a gap but always milk before solids so I know that's where he's getting his bulk from. As yet, DS has never indicated that he's full from his food, its always me stopping - he seems to be missing his off switch grin.

HV also told me to ignore his increased night wakings. I play it (literally) by ear. if DS is crying I go to him and feed him - I figure If I don't he'll just wake again sooner and I would hate to think of him having a rumbly little tummy and he can't communicate that to me clearly sad He feeds 1-2 times in the night (he was down to once at 4.30am but he's just had another developmental leap which seems to build up an appetite when he practices his new skills in the night) Often though he's singing in his sleep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now