Talk

Advanced search

11mo won't drink...

(5 Posts)
bigredtractor Wed 21-Sep-11 20:55:51

Hi,

I have an 11mo who just WONT drink v much at all. He has a cup of milk when he wakes up (lucky if he drinks half of it) and the same at bedtime (when he drinks even less of it!).

I try to get him to drink with his meals and snacks and when he wakes from naps but he probably only takes 400-500 ml of fluid a day if we're lucky. He eats really well though.

He gets a milky breakfast (porridge or weetabix), loves yoghurt and we make his meals a bit more sloppy with extra water. We've tried different beakers, lids, no lids, straws etc and I'm worried as in the last 48 hours he's lost interest in the milk at all and is getting constipated.

Anyone had anything similar? Any tips?

Flisspaps Wed 21-Sep-11 21:18:23

Do you just leave the cup of water around for him in the day to help himself to, or is it just available at mealtimes?

If he's constipated, make sure he's not eating bananas, gets lots of water-heavy fruit and veg in his diet too (as well as stuff like prunes!)

bigredtractor Wed 21-Sep-11 22:15:33

Noted re the bananas, thanks!

No, idon't leave the cup around longer than his meals etc last- perhaps I should?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 22-Sep-11 12:27:16

Agree with Fliss on making sure he has water available all the time, ideally you should be offering him water every time your drink.

The fruit idea is a good one too, have you tried him with something like watermelon?

Flisspaps Thu 22-Sep-11 17:05:48

I leave beakers (with lids) around at all times for the children to drink (I'm a CM) None of the children (18mo, 16mo, 3yo) would drink anywhere near enough the required fluid intake at just mealtimes. However with their cups out all the time, they can help themselves (the same as an adult would) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now