Talk

Advanced search

fitting solids into routine....!

(6 Posts)
nello Tue 20-Sep-11 15:23:32

I have been EBF my 6MO dd and moved onto first tastes in the past month. Before we were doing 4-hourly feeds, something like this:
7am feed
(9-11 nap)
11am feed
(1-3 nap)
3pm feed
(bath at 6.30)
7pm feed and bed

I've been looking at AKarmel's suggested feeding plan and am now trying to fit it into naps and milk feed times etc. Does this look ok?

milk and breakfast 7am ish
mid morning milk 8.30 ish (or should this be after nap?)
(9-11 nap)
Lunch and water 12 ish
(nap 1-3)
midafternoon milk - 3pm ish
Dinner and water - 5pm ish
(6.30pm bath)
7pm milk and bed

I am aware of wanting to make sure that she is hungry for each feed, and also not feeding to sleep.What would you suggest? Does this look ok?

Also, should i be giving snacks???

Thanks!

nello Tue 20-Sep-11 15:25:04

realise this looks very rigid, but obviously would be flexible with it!

clarejane Tue 20-Sep-11 16:35:41

I had the same question a few months ago! The best advice I got was to offer food at mealtimes (tada!) & let everything else fall into place. Seems ridiculously simple but it worked for us. DS is 10 mos & we BF on waking, mid-morning, mid-afternoon and before bed. He has solids breakfast, lunch & dinner. Sometimes the BF is before his naps, sometimes after them, depending how he's doing. Your routine looks great & if you're willing to be flexible I'm sure your LO will just fall into a pattern that works for everyone. Not sure how much help this is! I guess I just wanted share that the key for me was to not over think it too much smile

Seona1973 Tue 20-Sep-11 19:12:42

7am feed
(9-11 nap)
11am feed
(1-3 nap)
3pm feed
(bath at 6.30)
7pm feed and bed

I would maybe add in meals at 8am (breakfast), 12pm (lunch) and 5pm (dinner) and keep the milk feeds the same.

I didnt give snacks until the daytime milk feeds started to go which started around 9 months (for 11am feed) and 10 1/2 months (the 3pm feed).

nello Tue 20-Sep-11 20:00:49

thanks Seona and clarejane. the only thing i was confused about was that if I give a milk feed at 11am she probably won't be hungry by 12 for solids...do you think it is better to keep the milk at 11 and move the lunch to about 12.30? And in fact, usually she wakes before 11 from her nap so I could always feed her milk a little earlier, say about 10.30ish....

it's just been difficult getting her to eat the solids so i don't want her to be full up when i offer them to her.

thanks!

clarejane Wed 21-Sep-11 19:04:12

Well, I'm definitely not an expert but I think that an hour or so between a milk feed and a solid meal should be OK. DS had milk at 8.15 this morning and was shoveling down porridge and toast about 9.30! You don't want her to be ravenous when you offer solids as she doesn't understand yet that solids will satisfy her appetite and she'll probably just get frustrated IME. Food is more for tasting, exploring etc. I would do exactly what you suggested - give her milk when she wakes up at 10.30ish and lunch at lunchtime. Whether it's 12 or 12.30 probably wont make much difference. Make it fun - we did a lot of 'mmmmm, yummy, look at Daddy eating DS's food' etc. etc smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now