Talk

Advanced search

BLW and cutting back BF and it's all gone wrong, help please!

(3 Posts)
missorinoco Sun 18-Sep-11 21:27:02

It's all going wrong.

I started BLW with DS at 6 months. Initially he ate very well. I started dropping milk feeds as he was suckling rather than feeding for some and I had spent 6 months in the habit of whipping out a boob for a comfort suck before I even thought about it.

On the back of a recent chest infection he's off his solids. Rather than tucking in with glee he's getting upset and screaming often after one or two mouthfuls. I tried breakfast today 45 minutes after a good breastfeed but he wasn't interested. But he's also now down to 3 feeds a day, morning, noon and before bed, plus one late evening and usually one overnight.

He did manage about 5 sweet potato wedges, a little broccoli, some mash and gravy for lunch, plus a pancake and a third of a rusk for tea, but that's the most he's eaten in 5 days.

I go back to work in 2 weeks so I'm not sure it will be helpful to bump up the daytime feeds, but he won't take formula, I've tried a bottle and a cup. Having read on another thread here someone managed to BF their child at lunchtime on non-work days I would be happy to do that, but I'm worried he's not getting enough milk and liquid even with this amount.

I'm going round in circles and I think I'm getting so stressed I've lost perspective on this, any advice will be appreciated.

TIA.

cantmakecarrotcake Mon 19-Sep-11 07:32:35

We had a similar situation last week. DD, who isn't the best eater anyway, had a tummy bug. I was down to 3 daytime BF and 1 or 2 at night and because she refused all food I did add in another daytime feed just to make sure she got enough - she's already little.

I wonder if it'll take him a couple more days to fully recover and feel himself again. If he seems hungry for milk maybe add another BF in, but I think 5 in 24 hr is ok from a liquid perspective.

I do understand your concern about going back to work though. DD also won't take formula, and although I don't go back until Jan I'm already stressing about it.

So, not much help, sorry, but just wanted to post to say I understand where you're at...

missorinoco Mon 19-Sep-11 11:19:39

That's kind, thankyou, and also quite useful. 5 in 24 hours - I forget to count the evening/night feeds in my tally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now