Talk

Advanced search

Aptamil First or Follow-on milk?

(4 Posts)
fireflyz Mon 12-Sep-11 20:59:26

DS is 10 mo. Has happily had Aptamil First from the early days. Should I now move him onto Follow on milk?

I've compared the list of ingredients on the cartons and not clear why they are more or less the same things but in very slightly different proportions.

I'm also thinking that when he's 1 yo, he'll drink regular cows milk as it is a lot cheaper and the NHS say it's OK to do that then.

So for the next 2 or 3 months, will it make that much difference to change to Follow on?

Has anyone had an experience where their child didn't take to Follow on milk?

southlondonlady Tue 13-Sep-11 12:02:11

Hi, was told by the HV that no need to change to follow-on, is just marketing by the formula companies - just stick to the first milk then switch to normal cow's milk at 1 year.

HeidiKat Tue 13-Sep-11 16:22:29

I changed from aptamil first to follow on when DD was 6 months, she took to the follow on no problem. I decided to use the follow on as it contains iron which the first milk doesn't and DD has never been a big eater of solids, we have struggled with weaning but getting there now, and I was sure she wouldn't be eating enough red meat and green veg to get her iron requirements.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 13-Sep-11 20:35:10

Agree with south, follow on milk was just devised to get around the marketing laws. If your DS is happy then stick with it and just change to cows milk at 12 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now