Talk

Advanced search

How many bfeeds for a 6mth old?

(6 Posts)
flowerfairy Sun 11-Sep-11 19:13:55

HAve been weaning for 3 weeks now and DD is on 2 meals aday. Still bfing at 7am, 10-11am ish and then a teatime feed and bedtime feed. However since last week she has been alittle constipated. No poo for 5 day sand then since then small quite solid poos including some about the size of a pea. SOme nights she seems to have suffered with some tummy ache and not slept through and has often been fed back to sleep, but now is back to sleeping through(touch wood). So am wondering whether an afternoon bfeed might help the pooing situation. Any ideas?

katesterb Tue 27-Sep-11 15:39:13

My ds is six months. we starting weaning at 17 weeks and had problems with constipation. I was advised to feed him with milk after his solid feed. I was told not to subsitute food for milk to do it together. I also found certain foods makes him constipated like banana for instance. I try and give my ds prunes mixed with something every other day.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 28-Sep-11 19:47:47

Four feeds a day for a 6 months old doesn't seem like much. I would introduce an afternoon feed too. Bfing an hour before offering solids may help her and if she is having tummy trouble I'd introduce any new foods in the morning, just so that she can disgest them before bedtime an then hopefully sleep better.

flowerfairy Thu 29-Sep-11 11:50:59

DD is now 7months and did introduce an extra feed, but back to 4 feeds a day in between meals and waking up and bedtime. Pooing situation has improved and have just made a puree including prunes which seems to be helping. She also seems to be getting the hang of sucking from her cup better too, which i think is helping. So what about 4 feeds for a 7month old is that enough?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 29-Sep-11 12:17:23

Sorry flower hadn't realised it was an old thread. Glad that the poo situation has improved but have to admit, I'm not trained so not sure. I'd still say that she needs one in the afternoon but perhaps you could check with a BFC or ask in the feeding section?

flowerfairy Thu 29-Sep-11 16:02:29

I did try feeding section but thread is somewhere in the backcatalogue. She does have an afternoon feed around 2.30ish before tea at 5ish. Bedtime milk and lots of it ie both sides and won't settle until completely satisfied. As i said we now get 2-3 or more small poos a day and doesn't get upset when passing them. Thanks for help JJJ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now