Talk

Advanced search

10month old baby still has 4 bottles a day otherwise doesn't sleep - HELP!!!

(12 Posts)
pinky27 Fri 09-Sep-11 15:53:50

Hiya, My 10months old little girl absolutely loves her milk - she is having 3 small meals a day but isn't that bothered with food. Reduced her milk to 3 bottles a day cos read that she should be just having that but then she started waking up 2 /3 times a night. Now increased her milk back to 4 bottles and she is sleeping through - how do I decrease the milk and keep her sleeping?? EEK - don't know what to do!! Thanks

ImpyCelyn Fri 09-Sep-11 16:25:44

Sounds about right to me, DS still has 3 feeds during the day and one at night. He's 11 months.

Milk is their main source of nutrition until 1.

estya Sun 11-Sep-11 21:39:43

We also are on 4 (breast milk) feeds. She is also 10 months old.

She has them all after a meal and eats well, so i don't think she is drinking instead of eating.

I think every baby is different. Regardless of what someone says she 'should' have, your LO obviously likes/needs 4 milk feeds a day, so i wouldn't change it.

greeneone12 Mon 12-Sep-11 09:56:09

Another 4 breast feeds here too at 6am, 11am, 3pm and 6.30pm. She can go without the 11am one but then wakes about 11pm hungry. My LO 10m eats well most of the time so just think she wants milk and food!

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 12-Sep-11 10:06:24

DS had 5 x 9oz bottles at that age, don't worry about it. Sounds like she's eating well, having plenty of milk and sleeping through.. you'd be insane to change anything smile

Zimm Mon 12-Sep-11 20:06:09

DD is 12 months and still on four breast feeds a day.....they need the milk!

Milk should be the main source of nutrition until they are 1. She will cut back of her own accord in time.

vez123 Fri 16-Sep-11 13:14:13

4 bottles sound a lot to me personally, especially if you say that she is not so interested in food. At that age DS had 2-3 breastfeeds and 3 meals a day and 1-2 snacks. I guess it varies from baby to baby.. When you went to 3 bottles did she not compensate by eating more solids?

narmada Sat 17-Sep-11 23:21:19

I am def in the follow your baby camp - I reckon what you're doing is fine.

matana Sun 18-Sep-11 10:55:37

I've started another similar thread. My 10 month old DS is still on 4x bottles per day totalling aroun 16-20oz. I think it's the total intake rather than how many servings of milk that's important. I suppose the only difference with my DS is that he loves proper food too and eats a decent amount as well as milk.

lizardqueenie Mon 19-Sep-11 14:39:43

Really relieved to find this thread. My 10.5 month old DD will go down to 2 bottles a day (6oz before breakfast then 8oz at bedtime). However this was all well and good for a few days bit then I noticed she was waking at night and really early in the morning. So back to 3 bottles for us as of today and 3 meals a day. I think I got so worried about what everyone else was doing I thought she should be doing that too.

redbird79 Wed 21-Sep-11 11:18:25

I sympathise- DS is 10.5mths and still has lots of milk day and night, on top of three solid meals a day and sometimes supper too! His eating rate has increased recently so I wondered if they have a growth spurt at this age? Would make sense why they're resistant to cutting back feeds...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now