Talk

Advanced search

Purees to lumps?

(4 Posts)
Deliaskis Fri 02-Sep-11 11:27:09

Hi there,

I started weaning DD at around 5 mo on advice of paed due to reflux issues. She has been doing really well with loads of different flavours - I haven't done BLW as she is very hit and miss with finger food (although getting better) and the idea of the early(ish) weaning was to help settle the milk.

So she has been doing great with purees of all sorts of things, opened her mouth like a sparrow from day one and gets really excited when she knows food is on the way, plus it has worked as it's helping her keep the milk settled, but now she is 6.5mo I have been trying her with slightly less smooth things, and she seems to spit out the lumps and eat the rest. I am talking small lumps, like a bit of swede that was smaller than a grain of rice.

Is this something other people have experienced? Will she just 'get' lumps and textures in general in her own good time?

She is doing better with finger food and I know she has swallowed bits of bread and rice crackers etc. so they must have been lumps, but lumps in her spoon fed food she will not have.

FWIW I have been using a mixture of jars and home made puree.

Am just a bit worried that I will end up with a 3 yr old still eating purees confused.

Any thoughts?

D

lilham Fri 02-Sep-11 11:36:26

If she's happy having lumps from her finger food surely you don't have to worry? Because in the end we all want a child that will feed themselves isn't it?

vmcd28 Tue 06-Sep-11 09:54:35

I'd stop the puree completely, and try things like mashed potatoes /turnip/carrots etc. She's less likely to ignore lumps if the food is thicker, rather than some lumpy bits among purees

Seona1973 Tue 06-Sep-11 12:00:39

I just did finger foods alongside purees and as ds got better with finger foods I was able to phase out the purees. Even mashed potato and rice can be finger foods (if a bit messy!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now