Talk

Advanced search

Whats the latest anyone has weaned?

(9 Posts)
notsuchayummymummy Sun 28-Aug-11 17:19:36

Hi there, probably a weird question as I think people are generally in a hurry to wean - but what is the latest people on here have weaned - both BLW and not?

There is a reason for the question. DC1 was found to have problems with the oesophagus from weaning onwards and it ended up being a little tricky going back to milk alone etc. DC2 is content EBF - tho obv not sleeping through - but thats fine for me too.

Just wondering how late it will be if I leave it entirely down to BLW?

pookamoo Sun 28-Aug-11 17:22:41

By "weaning" do you mean stopping the milk, or introducing solids?

We did BLW with DD, and started at 6 months (introducing solids) but stopped milk feeds (breastfeeding) at 2 years and a couple of weeks.

BLW really is "baby led" so it can be a long time before they start to eat what you might consider a "proper meal", I think DD was over a year before she would tuck in to a dish of food. Others I know have been going great guns by 9 months...

notsuchayummymummy Sun 28-Aug-11 18:06:16

I mean starting solids as opposed to eating a complete meal.

If I am honest I think I am nervous after last time sad - was scary for a couple of months until they correctly diagnosed the problem.

pookamoo Sun 28-Aug-11 22:38:16

Ah, ok.

Maybe BLW would be the right thing for you, then - it takes off a lot of the pressure, as the baby does his/her own thing until they are ready.

That said, many health care professionals don't really understand what it entails! Some health visitors still talk about that rubbish idea that there is a kind of "window of opportunity" in which you must introduce solids. This is not true, and anyway, milk is supposed to be the main thing in their diet until 1, as far as I know.

notsuchayummymummy Mon 29-Aug-11 09:13:26

Thank you very much pookamoo. I have just been watching some BLW vids online and they were scary enough in the fact that 6 month olds were eating what my 18 mth old still cant sad

I definately think BLW is the way to go..... are there any really good books out there?

lilham Mon 29-Aug-11 10:10:30

Have a look at the website babyledweaning.com. If you are looking for a book, search for gill ripley on amazon or your library. Don't be alarmed by the videos, I think they are usually some really 'advanced' babies. Afaik, most won't get much in their mouth till around 9mo.

notsuchayummymummy Mon 29-Aug-11 10:58:55

Thank you lilham I have ordered her book and cookbook smile

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for a smooth weaning!

pookamoo Mon 29-Aug-11 21:07:37

There is a support group thread on here for BLW, it's important to stay relaxed about it all, and remember, they won't starve themselves!
As I said, DD ate very little until quite late, and still only eats a tiny amount some days.

Good luck with it all!
smile

Akandra Tue 30-Aug-11 17:16:08

The first couple of weeks are the hardest part. It took my daughter 2 weeks before she got the idea of picking up food and putting it in her mouth and even longer to eat it. You just have to be patient and let them lead it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now