Talk

Advanced search

Guten - what age?

(6 Posts)
MacMomo Sat 27-Aug-11 10:23:18

have read conflicting advice - allergy doctors saying not before one year vs plenty of people feeding toast and porridge to 6 mo. DD had milk allergy and bad eczema. Should I avoid gluten until she is one?

Seona1973 Sat 27-Aug-11 19:52:49

even the coeliac society says you should introduce it at 6 months as you can only find out there is a problem with gluten once it is being eaten.

babies and weaning

AngelDog Sun 28-Aug-11 22:58:25

After 6 months is the standard NHS line. AFAIK the only thing that researchers are currently agreed on is that not being breastfed at the time gluten is introduced is a risk factor for gluten intolerance.

Research is going on into early weaning (the EAT study) to look at the effect of early / later introduction foods.

MacMomo Mon 29-Aug-11 21:10:13

Interesting, thanks. Got a last minute appt with an NHS dietician tomorrow, will report what advice is given.

RitaMorgan Tue 30-Aug-11 14:27:15

The report I read (British Dietetic Association iirc) said problems have been found with introduction before 4 months or after 7 months. I think the advice to introduce it at 6 months is probably right.

MacMomo Wed 31-Aug-11 21:56:13

Dietician said 7-8 months but she didn't inspire me with much confidence. Anyway, seems 6 months is the norm so maybe I misunderstood the paed in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now