Talk

Advanced search

rant alert - mil suggests rusk in bottle & I'm the one in the wrong for saying no!

(7 Posts)
Pootle78 Thu 25-Aug-11 18:17:09

And that's not even the worst comment I've had today, my mum has told me she is worried about my 6m ds as he has no flesh on him, should be on 3 meals a day and I'm not feeding him enough.

But back to the rant, I won't put rusk in his bottle for obvious reasons and because mil suggested it, it must be right according to dh or not so d at moment so arguements ahoy at moment. And ds sleeps through so why would I want to do it anyway?

Rant over but I'm sure more discussions to come in this household!

MrsKwazii Thu 25-Aug-11 18:30:28

They sound v helpful hmm. Are you and your health visitor happy with your DS's weight and progress? Is he on the lower part of the centile chart by any chance? If so, just tell them - and your H - that and let them know that their comments aren't helpful.

They surely know that things have changed since they had their babies? In know that some things changed even in the three years between my DDs.

FWIW when my DD2 was six months she still wasn't that fussed about food. It took her about a month to get into her stride on a mix of baby-led weaning and me spoon-feeding her the sloppier stuff. She had quite a dip in her weight but the HVs weren't concerned so neither was I.

Hold your nerve - you know your baby wink

MrsKwazii Thu 25-Aug-11 18:31:48

When I say changed, I mean the advice that we're given by HVs. Babies obviously still the same grin

Seona1973 Thu 25-Aug-11 18:54:59

kellymom has good info on giving solids in a bottle and how it is detrimental to the baby.

Pootle78 Thu 25-Aug-11 23:07:11

Wasn't expecting any replies, just needed to vent somewhere where I didn't need to justify my decisions!!!

Yes Mrs K, he is on the 9th centile, although born on the 75th. He dropped quite quickly as he was quite poorly and never got into the habit of sleeping in the day so was obviously burning his calories by being awake.

Saw hv on Tuesday and she was very happy that he had put on 1lb in 5 weeks, he's also very long which probably doesn't help either, that and he is on the move too, burning more calories!

Thanks for the heads up Seona, although I'll probably get told it's American, it doesn't count!!!

Barbeasty Sat 27-Aug-11 10:21:45

Can you ask your HV to either give you something that includes the recommendation that you shouldn't put solids in a bottle, which you could leave around so DH/MIL could see it, or at least to point you in the direction of some info.

Just as a starter this is NHS advice, and on page 6 it specifically says not to add solids like baby rice or rusks to bottles.

cantmakecarrotcake Sat 27-Aug-11 18:17:40

Does your Birth to Five book have anything in it? I'm pretty sure it's one of the things it'll recommend NOT doing! It probably also says that solids shouldn't normally be started before 6 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now