Talk

Advanced search

is this normal first time not having millk..help...

(4 Posts)
hippy3 Wed 24-Aug-11 19:14:58

Hi I have 20 week old twin boys. And I decided today that I would try them on some baby rice, they have been having hungry baby milk for a week or so now and I have decided that they are ready for proper food.

So today I bought some baby rice...and gave it to them with their afternoon bottle. I only gave them a taste really, .... a couple of spoons...which they seemed to push the food out again against their lips and then suck it back in ... is this normal i seemed to get more of it on the outside of their mouths?? I am wondering if they are ready...or am I being ridicuous...as this is the first time they have taken anything but a teat..... ??

I just wondered if when babays are reay they open tehir mouths wide and swallow... ? sorry I probably sound really stupid..... please be kind....! smile

Moulesfrites Wed 24-Aug-11 19:17:34

All babies have a tongue thrust reflex at first which means if you push something in their mouth they will push it back out with their tongue.

The loss of the tongue thrust reflex is one of the signs that a baby is ready for solid food. It sounds as if your boys still have theirs, so I would give it a few more weeks before trying solids again smile

hippy3 Wed 24-Aug-11 19:31:22

I did read that they were also just over a month prem..... I will leave it a few weeks and try again.... x Thanks,

lilham Thu 25-Aug-11 04:35:19

Hunger actually isn't a sign of ready for solids, contrary to popular belief. They have to sit 'almost' unaided and have lost their tongue thrust reflex. Have you still got you NHS birth to 5 book from your HV? It's got a very good chapter on weaning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now