Talk

Advanced search

Confused about HV advice - help please!!!

(7 Posts)
Mimmee Wed 24-Aug-11 15:15:20

Hi all
DD is 24 weeks old and has been EBF. Over the last couple of weeks I have started weaning, just introducing some mashed up fruit/veg/bit of porrige. I have took it quite slowly and just been giving her one "meal" per day and was feeling quite chilled out about it but..

I saw the HV at baby clinic this morning and she told me that DD should be on 3 meals per day with a snack by now and to offer breastfeeds after food so she doesn't "fill" up on milk.

I am now completely confused as all I have read seems to say milk is still primary nutrition at this stage and am also panicking that I should be giving her more food. She isn't even 6 months yet..

Any advice for a completely neurotic slightly anxious first time mum??

Thanks xx

schobe Wed 24-Aug-11 15:21:38

Every time I read a thread title about HV advice, I just know the reply will be IGNORE the HV.

No need at all for your DD to be up to 3 meals a day. Early weaning is just tastes really and your DD can dictate the pace (assuming she's a decent weight and breastfeeds well).

I'm not an expert tbf, but even I know that your HV seems to be talking bollocks.

4madboys Wed 24-Aug-11 15:24:31

hv is WRONG, milk her main food till one, my dd is 8mths and i still offer her milk BEFORE her food, she was 7mths when she got onto 3 meals a day and very small meals at that.

i would carry on as you are and then once she is 6mths see if she wants food twice a day and follow her lead, she will let you know what she wants, but bmilk is perfect for her and should remain her main source of nutrition until she is one smile

Mimmee Wed 24-Aug-11 15:27:41

Thanks schobe, what I thought but she was so adamant and seemed sp confident in what she was saying it really threw me!

4madboys Wed 24-Aug-11 16:46:55

tbh i would think of reporting her for giving you wrong information. its so frustrating, many other mothers wouldnt have thought to question the advice and would 'do as they were told' sad

whatsthescore Wed 24-Aug-11 16:49:21

At 6 months my ds hadn't had any solids, and that was me following the advice I was given.
Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Mimmee Wed 24-Aug-11 17:46:36

Thank you all for the reassurance - not sure why I didn't just challenge her on it at the time I suppose you just assume if a health professional says it, it must be right!

Although since having DD I am discovering that is not always the case....!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now