Talk

Advanced search

GP says to start weaning my 19wo - straight onto prunes...

(10 Posts)
FrogGreen Sat 20-Aug-11 11:50:30

This week I took my constipated 19wo FF DS round to see the GP, after 6 weeks of trying all the HV and MN tips (switching formula, giving extra water, apple juice, tummy massage, bicycle legs, warm baths) and feeling a little concerned that even with all this he's still a once-a-week-man.

The GP reacted with total disgust - she didn't actually say "time-waster" but she was definitely thinking it. During the 4 minutes she gave us, she told me 8 times "the HV deals with weaning" and then instructed me to start feeding DS pureed prunes.

I thought we were supposed to start with baby rice? And wait til 6 months? He seems too young to me. Is there any reason why FF babies should be weaned earlier than BF babies? Any top tips on dealing with a snotty GP who leaves you feeling totally mystified?

BertieBotts Sat 20-Aug-11 11:52:36

Is he actually uncomfortable when he poos or is it just infrequent?

FrogGreen Sat 20-Aug-11 12:09:15

He's uncomfortable... gets more and more niggly as the delay stretches out, and I notice him straining to poo and then giving up.

Seona1973 Sat 20-Aug-11 18:34:08

have you not been prescribed something like lactulose? What milks have you tried? Comfort milk is supposed to help with constipation.

FrogGreen Sat 20-Aug-11 21:43:29

Thanks Seona, I haven't heard of Comfort milk but I'll go and look it up. I've been through Aptimil, C&G, Hipp and was going to look for another one to try next week.

And no, no prescription, the doc was in such a hurry to eject us from her surgery she couldn't have written out the script in the time available angry

Cheeseandbiscuits Sat 20-Aug-11 21:53:00

I'm a doctor, get the wee one some lactulose from your doctor. And plenty of water if he'll take it! I'd go back, see a different doctor. Sorry they weren't any help.

Wean only if you think they are ready, can sit up abs list Tongue thrust reflex.

Seona1973 Sat 20-Aug-11 21:55:52

Aptamil and Cow and Gate both do Comfort milk - I have seen them in the supermarkets

tigermummy35 Sun 21-Aug-11 10:08:01

The Cow and Gate Comfort milk really helped DS, who was constipated and being sick all the time. Smells weird and must be made up hot (or it goes all claggy in the teat) but works a treat. Good luck smile

33goingon64 Sun 21-Aug-11 15:16:14

GP sounds like an idiot. Trying to cover up a lack of knowledge with guff.

FrogGreen Mon 22-Aug-11 12:56:21

Thanks everyone, and especially Cheeseandbiscuits for a dr's view! I will keep going with extra water and tummy massage for a week or so and then try to get an appmt with a different GP.

I am educated, work in a scientific field and usually have no problems talking to people... how is it that GP's always make me feel like a cretinous, time-wasting, paranoid hypochondriac?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now