Talk

Advanced search

Scared of gagging etc..

(4 Posts)
Astonmartinis Fri 19-Aug-11 10:17:19

6 month old daughter - am about to enter the arena of finger foods.. scared witless of choking and gagging and am wondering what I should give her first that's not going to get stuck in the wrong place. Are sticks of cooked carrot a good idea? Is soft buttered toast? What about pear slices? CHeese..? Help would be v much appreciated!!

Iggly Fri 19-Aug-11 21:12:20

I was told that you cook food so it squishes under your thumb easily when first giving finger food. We gave carrots first.

Gagging is good, choking bad. Gagging is a natural way of bringing back food and involves baby making a noise. Choking, on the other hand is near silent as no air is getting in.

I remember sitting on the edge of my seat when weaning - I used to encourage DS to chew chew chew by showing him. Also never left unattended.

Other food options - chips, toast is good (not bread as can get sticky), thin slices of pear which mush easily, broccoli florets, strips of roast chicken - bits which are soft like sliced breast meat. I also used to make burgers and give fist sized pieces (his fist not mine) to him.

Good luck! It's daunting at first but they learn quickly. I did look up first aid on babies to reassure myself too.

Astonmartinis Sat 20-Aug-11 09:32:55

Thanks Iggly, the toast worked a treat today..

Iggly Sat 20-Aug-11 10:32:04

That's good! I hope it goes well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now