Talk

Advanced search

So food is for fun until 1...

(6 Posts)
JoinTheDots Thu 18-Aug-11 18:57:59

DD is 1 on Tuesday, and still eats pretty much nothing in terms of solids.

We have been BLW since 6 months. She has great co-ordination, will put food in her mouth when she wants to, chews and has lost her gag reflex but hardly actually swallows anything in any meal we have together. She uses a spoon really well if the mood takes her.

We always eat as a family, she is able to get to my plate to steal, as well has having her own few bits on her tray. We have a very varied and healthy diet and she has been able to play with and try loads of different foods. She usually does play, although her current favourite game is dropping things on the floor and then looking over the side of her tray to see where they have landed...

She is EBF and still feeds all the time on demand, day and night.

I have never made a fuss at meal times if nothing is eaten, but the whole BF thing is getting so tiring, and I am thinking I might need to supplement iron in the next month or so if she does not eat soon.

Can someone just remind me she will eat, at some point, and that it might be soon? I am having a general crisis of confidence!

Are there any others who had late weaners? Did things happen suddenly?

kellieb7 Thu 18-Aug-11 20:58:36

I am definately no expert but could she be filling up so much on milk that she has no room left for food?

JoinTheDots Fri 19-Aug-11 10:28:14

Hi Kellieb7, I thought that myself so tried to offer solids when I knew she was hungry, but she just got very frustrated and kept pointing to my chest and signing for milk. She certainly hasn't got the cause and effect of solids make me full, that is for sure!

Her milk feeds are naturally spaced so she should at least be peckish when she is offered solids, if not starving hungry.

Logic tells me she will not want to feed from me forever, but impatience tells me I want her to like food sooner rather than later.

HerdOfTinyElephants Fri 19-Aug-11 10:34:59

We did BLW with DD1 and I think she definitely didn't realise until she hit ten months or so that food was a solution to feeling hungry -- once that clicked her intake of solids shot hugely up just in the space of a week. Twelve months is longer than that, obviously, but it sounds like she's in that same space of not connecting the two things.

I don't know if there's any way of encouraging her to make the connection sooner.

kellieb7 Fri 19-Aug-11 11:29:02

jointhedots it sounds to me like you are trying everything possible so as HerdoftinyElephants says maybe the food, satisfying hunger thing is just taking a while to click into place. You shouldn't have such yummy Mummy milk grin

MumtoF Sun 21-Aug-11 14:45:13

My HV told me to limit the milk to 3 feeds a day. Not sure if it was a coincidence but it did seem to help her take more solids. It is difficult at first but we didn't really have much upset for more than a day or so as I dropped each one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: