Talk

Advanced search

10 month old suddenly having trouble swallowing

(5 Posts)
HettySpaghetti Wed 17-Aug-11 21:11:04

HI my DD has suddenly started having trouble eating. She has always been a great eater and has been ok with texture etc. But the last few days has really gone off her food. Every time she goes to swallow she gags and has even been sick on a few occasions. She even refuses toast which has been her favourite for a long time. Any advice? Do I need to see the Dr?

Sistermoondance Mon 22-Aug-11 19:09:18

Weird and I am sorry I can't help- but I am having a similar worrying experience with my dd who has just turned 9 months. Although she is eating breakfast and her fromage frais and pureed fruit just fine so pretty sure she is not ill. The lunch time and dinner she struggles to eat doesn't seem interested. She has been much more gaggy than usual and thrown up twice in three days- not wind, her whole lunch which had been incredibly rare before this week! So I am watching this space and hoping someone can help as it is horrible :-(

RitaMorgan Mon 22-Aug-11 19:11:16

Tonsilitis maybe?

Sistermoondance Tue 23-Aug-11 13:07:52

I spoke to hv today- limited usefulness. She reassured me that my dd looked well and gaining weight well. But could say why she could be gagging- suggestions were that maybe the food was too dry or that once she'd choked and then vomitted she realised she could do it and that it was now a learnt behaviour to get attention (slightly skeptical about that but poss I suppose). She suggested feeding more slowly and putting some of whatever I was feeding on the high chair tray for her to play with and get used to and eventually try to put in her mouth- even sloppy food not just lumps- and in fact to put big pieces of food on there rather than small pieces.

Not sure if thi response is any help to you, fingers crossed the babies improve x

Sistermoondance Tue 23-Aug-11 13:08:44

Sorry couldn't say why she may be gagging and then being sick

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now