Talk

Advanced search

When to wean?

(5 Posts)
chorlts Mon 15-Aug-11 21:12:05

My lovely boy is 20 weeks old and has 2 teeth already! The HV's round here are adamant in waiting to wean till 26 weeks and insist on BLW. I am torn between starting him on puree now or holding out till he is 6 months old? Surely, as he has teeth, that is nature saying - that for my little chap - it is food time! Any ideas much appreciated....

Seona1973 Tue 16-Aug-11 12:27:53

I know a baby that got teeth at a few weeks old so was certainly not ready for food! Some babies are born with teeth too. I would wait until he is ready for foods rather then judge by the amount of teeth he has. DS was 23 weeks when we started with a mix of puree and finger foods.

RitaMorgan Tue 16-Aug-11 14:27:33

No, I don't think teeth has anything to do with it! Some babies are born with teeth, some don't get any til they're 1.

BertieBotts Tue 16-Aug-11 14:29:43

Nope, teeth aren't related to weaning at all smile If you want to know when nature says he is ready, BLW is a really good route to go down - you could even try now, just putting a piece of banana or cooked carrot in front of him to see if he is able to pick it up and swallow yet. If not, wait a few more weeks and try again.

chorlts Tue 16-Aug-11 19:20:25

Oh ok, thanks. I will try some banana tomorrow and see how we get on...thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now