Talk

Advanced search

tips on keeping dt2 in ikea high chair please

(10 Posts)
MamaChocoholic Mon 15-Aug-11 07:55:16

dt2 is a climber. he's only 10mo but can climb the side of the bath/radiator/his cot. he can't keep still even when bf. and in his ikea high chair he can go from sitting to standing in under 2 seconds even though we wedge him in with the inflatable cushion and use the lap strap, perhaps because we can't struggle to get the lap belt to stay tight. any tips? ds1 used this chair without problems, dt1 is fine in hers, but I'm at a loss with dt2. currently it's just not safe as my attention is already divided with dt1.

MamaChocoholic Mon 15-Aug-11 07:59:59

we can't struggle to get the lap belt to stay tight blush

HarrietJones Mon 15-Aug-11 08:01:04

Put a harness pm instead of the lap belt

MamaChocoholic Mon 15-Aug-11 08:02:22

there are only two small slits in the seat of the chair through which you can attach the lap belt supplied with the chair. how would I attach a harness?

esselle Mon 15-Aug-11 08:08:39

I had the same problem with DS1 and found that by tying the ends which are under the seat together makes the seatbelt nice and tight. DS1 couldn't escape and neither can DS2.

HarrietJones Mon 15-Aug-11 08:12:45

If you get the one with reins attached they only need 2 slots.

Grumpla Mon 15-Aug-11 08:29:39

Have you got the belts through the wee plastic things the right way IYKWIM? if they are threaded through correctly it is quite difficult to get any slide on them at all - might be worth a second look at the instructions?

If you had to, you could always use a soldering iron / drill to add a couple more holes to the high chair body. Take child out first grin

Vajazzler Mon 15-Aug-11 08:30:27

I have the ikea highchair and have attached a harness like this

It comes with two bits that you can thread through the slits but the has a plastic adjustor thingy that stays on the outside of the seat to anchor them. Then you just attatch the harness to those bits and houdini is tied down!

MamaChocoholic Mon 15-Aug-11 13:08:39

thanks all. I don't know if I have the plastic things the right way round, but tying the straps together is genius. we are eating lunch and dt2 is completely frustrated restrained grin

esselle Tue 16-Aug-11 13:12:49

Yay! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now