Talk

Advanced search

Choking PFB - what to do?

(14 Posts)
MrsTerryPratchett Sun 14-Aug-11 19:24:18

DD is 8 months and an enthusiastic eater. I'm doing BF, homemade purees and oatmeal but wanted to give her some bits of lumpy stuff to experiment. So, she has so far choked on baby rice biscuits, Cheerios, teething biscuits (used to be good, now she has teeth and bites off a chunk and chokes) and lumps of avocado and banana.

When I say choke, I mean red face, stops breathing (very briefly), I panic, she vomits. She's all smiles afterwards but I am in pieces. She can pick things up. sit up, do all the 'readiness' stuff but she just seems to be a choker.

Should I just wait and introduce later (and possibly be stuck on purees forever) or persist and be braver?

ginmakesitallok Sun 14-Aug-11 19:26:26

It will take her time to learn how to cope with lumps - if I was you I would persevere, although it looks like she's choking, she's not. She is gagging on the food and then managing to bring it up - if she was choking she wouldn't be able to do that.

BeaWheesht Sun 14-Aug-11 19:31:10

Sounds like she is gagging not choking.

Dd is now 10m and gags much less frequently but yes she used to vomit a lot after gagging which is a bit annoying but not a worry. When she gags I don't panic I just do chewing faces (sounds stupid) and stay calm. Obviously if she really chokes then make sure you know what to do so you have more confidence?

I have to say I wouldn't have been so calm with ds so you're not alone at all.

Persevere.

nocake Sun 14-Aug-11 19:35:52

That's definately gagging, not choking. Babies gag reflex is nearer the front of the mouth than adults' so they will gag more frequently. Stick with it and she'll gradually learn how to make sure food is chewed better before she moves it towards the back of her mouth. It's also a good idea to stay calm and allow her to clear the food herself.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 14-Aug-11 19:36:58

I love the chewing faces idea! It may help me not to freak out.

SiL is a nurse so I know what to do it she chokes. I try to be a calm and brave PFB mother and manage it with most things. I don't want DD to worry and get scared but this is a trigger for me.

breatheslowly Sun 14-Aug-11 19:45:01

You may be able to think of things which you are more comfortable with her gagging on than others. For example baby crisps or well cooked potato. If you are confident that the food is soft enough that if she does begin to gag/choke it will break down of its own accord then you might find it easier. You could also go for lumpier purees rather than finger foods if you would find that easier. Also this stage goes by really quickly. DD is 11 mo and had some problems with gagging at 8 mo, but I have just realised that she hasn't done for over a month. DD never seemed to have a problem with rice cakes - you could try them. On the other hand she doesn't have enough teeth to bite stuff off even now, so the same stuff may not suit your DD.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 14-Aug-11 20:17:02

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I will try to relax and find things I find less scary. I think potato might work. She seems to have particular trouble with dry things (Cheerios and biscuits).

breatheslowly Sun 14-Aug-11 20:55:51

We had to get rid of the Heinz biscotti as they made DD gag and throw up. She would probably be fine with them now. Dry things probably stick.

HarrietJones Sun 14-Aug-11 21:12:36

Soak cheerios in milk first

gherkins Mon 15-Aug-11 11:52:30

I always soak rice cakes for DD (6.5 months) as personally I think rice cakes are too dry. I just sprinkle some water from her beaker over them, and then wait a minute or two for them to go soggy. It is then much easier for her to bite off a sensible-sized piece and deal with it without choking.

Sounds strange but with anything new that is lumpy or hard, I always put it in MY mouth first, and don't chew it with my teeth, but just move it around using my tongue. If it doesn't break down pretty quickly then it gets soaked to make it softer, or gets cut into a much smaller piece. Try eating a large bit of rice cake without using your teeth - it's very difficult, so imagine how hard it must be for a baby who cannot control their muscles as well as we do!

grin

gherkins Mon 15-Aug-11 11:54:03

Sorry - I should add that I don't then feed DD the same bit of food I have been chewing on! She gets a fresh piece, naturally grin

HarrietJones Mon 15-Aug-11 16:28:51

Dd3 likes the rice cakes on day 2 of the packet open. They are stickier then

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 15-Aug-11 21:20:50

OK, you lot are great. We managed a few milk-soaked Cheerios today and some lumpy asparagus. I did chewy faces and it worked (I didn't actually believe you, BeaWheesht but you were right). I should have known MN advice on this kind of thing is always stellar.

Thanks everyone. smile

BeaWheesht Tue 16-Aug-11 19:32:07

Tut tut at not believing me ;) glad you had some success. Dd vomited egg all over a cafe today cos she choked on a bit - what a delight!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now