Talk

Advanced search

Freezer cube things for purees - are they worth it?

(12 Posts)
CaringForPod Fri 12-Aug-11 21:49:06

Is it worth getting some of those cube sets that you bung in the freezer, or should I just stick with a silicone ice cube tray? Some people have said that the pots are better for when babies are eating more, but surely I could just bung several 'ice cubes' in one bowl and then defrost...or am I missing something?!

belledechocchipcookie Fri 12-Aug-11 21:50:37

No, just use a normal tray. smile

CaringForPod Fri 12-Aug-11 21:50:53

Oh, and also, which weaning bowls would you recommend? There are so many out there that I'm getting incredibly befuddled.

Thanks smile

CaringForPod Fri 12-Aug-11 21:52:01

Thanks belle...thought the cubey things were probably just a gimmick, but thought I'd see if anyone swore by them!

nocake Fri 12-Aug-11 21:54:19

Buy some cheap plastic bowls from Tesco or Wilkinsons. Get some with lids so you can store stuff in the fridge.

CaringForPod Fri 12-Aug-11 21:55:27

And thank you to you too, nocake! You both speak a lot of sense.

virgiltracey Fri 12-Aug-11 21:57:04

they are definitely not essential but I still use mine. they are the perfect size for freezing an egg or a glug of wine at the bottom of a bottle for coking purposes (not that there is generally any left!!!)

harecare Fri 12-Aug-11 21:57:08

I bought a load of cheap ice cube trays and then just used one of them and put the cubes into bags once frozen. Just buy cheapest bowls and shallow spoons. Or even the pack of 6 coloured bowls that Ikea do as you'll get more use from them as the baby gets older. The spoon feeding phase is so short as you'll find your baby wants to hold food and do it themselves that I really wouldn't shell out too much money. If you do go to Ikea they also do good tupperware of different sizes.

theborrower Sat 13-Aug-11 11:29:37

Just agreeing with everyone else - we use normal ice cube trays to portion up food (not purees, but things like risottos, pasta dishes, mashed veg etc) then stick in freezer bags. Otherwise we'd need about a billion trillion of those special baby ones.

we also like the IKEA tupperware sets with lots of different sizes - good for taking snacks and sandwiches out with us, or defrosting ice cubes of meals in the fridge overnight.

theborrower Sat 13-Aug-11 11:30:23

Also - if you put stuff in freezer bags, not the little lidded cubes, you can label them up so it's much easier to tell what's what.

CaringForPod Sun 14-Aug-11 17:56:43

Thanks for your replies everyone. I've found an industrial 32 hole ice cube tray on Amazon!

rookiemater Sun 14-Aug-11 18:01:43

I bought them and they were a right faff, well done you for avoiding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now