Talk

Advanced search

Dd3 obsessed with tiny foods. At the sake of everything else on her plate. Any suggestions?

(14 Posts)
HarrietJones Thu 11-Aug-11 20:09:20

on how to get her to eat the other stuff or things we can make tiny?

She's 10 months & since she mastered the pincer she is obsessed with peas. We have them a lot due to a glut in the garden/dd2 being a fussy eater. She just yells if anyone else has them( even of she has finished) and dd2 is usually last.
She is also eating loads of beans, blueberries, grapes and today we got her eating cheerios. I just feel we need to get more calories into her!

Any suggestions?

peeriebear Thu 11-Aug-11 20:12:49

Little cubes of cheese, sweetcorn, raisins, chopped chicken?
Witchety grubs? grin
DD is almost 5 and is similarly obsessed but with 'picnic' foods, most of which is fruit. Dinner today was strawbs, carrot, cubes of cheese, raisins, melon, sweetcorn, cheddar biscuits, and bread butter and Marmite!

HarrietJones Thu 11-Aug-11 20:17:09

She was eating loads of tomato/cucumber/strawberries but now they get turned down in favour of the tiny things. I'm a bit worried about choking with some of them.
Haven't tried her with raisins yet. She doesn't have teeth, does she need teeth for raisins?
We could do carrot/swede etc in tiny pieces.

Iggly Thu 11-Aug-11 20:25:15

What about giving long thing things which allow her to use her pincer grip but are less of a choking risk? Eg strips of carrots, toast, potatoes etc?

HarrietJones Thu 11-Aug-11 20:36:29

No that's the usual style, Not as good as peas!

Iggly Thu 11-Aug-11 21:17:32

Oh grin

You can make little burgers with meat and chop them up. Sweet potato dices up well (boiled)?

HarrietJones Thu 11-Aug-11 21:27:18

yes thtas another one! shes v awkward at the moment!

Iggly Thu 11-Aug-11 21:29:36

I empathise - DS has picky phases too.

You could put the cheerios in a bowl of milk for her to pick out so she can at least get some extra calories that way.

HarrietJones Thu 11-Aug-11 21:35:11

I soaked them in milk, put the blueberries in yoghurt too tonight. running out of ides though!

Iggly Thu 11-Aug-11 21:40:11

I assume she still has plenty of milk? Honestly - she'll be ok and the phase will pass <easy to say with hindsight>

HarrietJones Thu 11-Aug-11 21:47:51

Yes she's upped her milk the last couPle of days. All night though <sob>

MockingbirdsNotForSale Sat 13-Aug-11 21:07:03

Risotto? It'll take ages but she'll enjoy picking up the rice and diced veg?

Quenelle Sat 13-Aug-11 21:24:23

I guess she just really wants to practise her new skill. What about giving her some full length spaghetti or noodles? Something new to play with? It's actually very easy to clean up too, which is a bonus.

Quenelle Sat 13-Aug-11 21:24:23

I guess she just really wants to practise her new skill. What about giving her some full length spaghetti or noodles? Something new to play with? It's actually very easy to clean up too, which is a bonus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now