Talk

Advanced search

How does soup work blw style?

(13 Posts)
WhoahThere Wed 10-Aug-11 11:10:36

I'm having soup for lunch, can this work for DD? I'm thinking something could be dipped in but I'm trying not to pass on my bread addiction and she's already had a slice of toast for breakfast.

Any tips please?

SoupDragon Wed 10-Aug-11 11:11:42

My tip is to try it and film it so we can all enjoy it grin

rushofbloodtothefeet Wed 10-Aug-11 11:11:52

Only really works with big chunks of bread and a thick soup IMO.

Nowt wrong with spooning occasionally though smile

shuckleberryfinn Wed 10-Aug-11 11:13:35

Thicken it with mash? (unsalted obv) or give her a spoon, strip her naked and let her go nuts? (not recommended if you like your wall/floor/ceiling/carpets etc )

MerylStrop Wed 10-Aug-11 11:15:15

LOL at Soupy
small smear of soup in bottom of bowl. bits of bread to wipe in it. or just don a full forensic suit and go for it

WhoahThere Wed 10-Aug-11 11:15:45

Speedy answers! Will give it a miss for now then, all the more Goan spiced centile for me!

<bustles off to steam some broccoli>

WhoahThere Wed 10-Aug-11 12:47:36

Done - mashed some sweet potato into it and dipped the broccoli! Don't think she swallowed any much but hey ho!

BertieBotts Wed 10-Aug-11 12:51:48

I give DS a choice of bread and spoon, he loves soup smile When he started at the childminder he barely ate anything and on the second day she said "You said he likes toast, and soup - we had soup and toast today and he didn't eat any of it sad" and I said "Oh! That will be because we usually have it with bread" - the next day she served the same soup, with bread, and he ate two slices grin

(Is bread really bad? DS often has toast for breakfast and then soup with bread sandwich for his lunch)

WhoahThere Wed 10-Aug-11 13:48:58

Dunno really, I thought bread was one to watch for salt content? But the main reason I'm trying not to give it to her too much is just that I want her to try different things.... bread and toast are defo easy options though as she loves it!

Any nutritionists out there who can advise what constitutes excessive bread consumption??

OrangeMochaFrappucino Wed 10-Aug-11 17:16:19

Check the salt content on the packet of bread you buy - it can have as much as 0.5g per slice and babies of 6-12 months should have a maximum of 1g of salt per day. It's actually pretty easy to bake your own bread though if you have time and then you can just put in a pinch (and eat your slices with salted butter if you miss the taste!).

LakeFlyPie Wed 10-Aug-11 17:21:51

I find soup in a cup (DS does well with a Doidy cup - with assistance!) is the easiest / least messy way with dipped bread / toast to occupy their hands.

If it's got chunky bits in I fish those out and put on high chair tray.

lagrandissima Wed 10-Aug-11 17:25:24

Thin it out with milk and serve with a straw?!

BertieBotts Wed 10-Aug-11 17:57:50

Ah okay. DS is closer to 3 so I won't worry smile I seem to remember the salt thing from when he was younger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now