Talk

Advanced search

7 month old not eating

(6 Posts)
skgnome Tue 09-Aug-11 15:26:43

I may be overthinking it, but my 7 month old is just not into food, I've tried purees and finger foods and she'll either take the spoon and flip it all over the place or wait till I put food in her mouth and then spit it out, once straight into DH face which was fun to see or she'll take any finger food and play with it but the second she puts it on her mouth she pulls a face and drops the food.

Saying that I've found bits of food on the nappy, so something is going in.

My question is, is this normal? she's still takning her bottle, but I fell she's just not into solids, should I keep trying? how much should she be eating?

bagelmonkey Tue 09-Aug-11 18:40:58

Sorry. I don't know the answer, but I'll be following this to see if anyone can help. My DD is 6 1/2 months and showing no interest in food. We've been giving her porridge or purée for 3-4 weeks but she still just spits it all out immediately. She also rarely picks up any finger food and when she does she doesn't put it in her mouth. She will however try to eat the bib, muslin, toys etc.
She also won't take a bottle. I feel like I'll be breast feeding her forever.....
I feel your pain sad

Jules125 Tue 09-Aug-11 19:28:27

Just keep trying and try not to let it upset you when nothing you try is eaten and when you clean the floor for the nth time.

Its taken my DD (now 8 mo) just over 2 months to get into food at all - but she is starting to eat now. She is still breast feeding as much as before. I don't think this is unusual

Debs75 Tue 09-Aug-11 19:41:31

give her time, dd2 wasn't keen at first and ut took her a couple of moths before she realised food was good. She is now 3 and eats everything we put in front of her and has a brilliant relationship with food.

Remember 'food is fun until 1' Breastmilk or formula is enough, you supplement the milk with food not the other way around.

Give her a few days off from food and maybe let her just pick from your food. Oh and try not to fret about it.

EPPP Tue 09-Aug-11 19:46:47

DC3 didn't start eating until 10m, now 13m and eats like a horse but likes to feed herself. I thought I'd be breast feeding forever too but she went on nursing strike 2 days before her 1st birthday and now drinks milk out of an open cup(still refuses bottles and lidded cups for milk).
Don't worry about it too much, give lots of finger foods to try and try easy spoon feeding once a day that doesn't require loads of cooking like plain yog or mashed banana.
By the way dc3 stuck to the same centile throughout her 4m of food refusal whereas dc1 and 2 ate well and did not!

skgnome Wed 10-Aug-11 12:21:12

thanks, I think I'll just give her time... bagelmonkey, my DD also loves eating her bib, table, chair, toys, etc... good to know we're not alone sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now