Talk

Advanced search

6mo Constipated - any tips please?

(10 Posts)
Trojan1970 Mon 08-Aug-11 07:54:14

Hi - we are 2 weeks in to weaning my 6mo DS. The weaning is going well, he's had lots of different mushed up veg, and some of the ready made organix type fruit purees, and some weetabix and banana etc etc. However, the poor little mite is really constipated. Any tips on helping him to get his bowel moving? Thanks

MrsJamin Mon 08-Aug-11 08:10:33

I'd go easy on the quantities, he's probably a bit backed up.

whyme2 Mon 08-Aug-11 08:12:57

Less food and more fluid.

My hv recommended grape juice - crush grapes through a sieve and mix with a little water to help.

Cheeseandbiscuits Mon 08-Aug-11 11:21:34

Prunes! Or a bit of fresh orange juice.

Trojan1970 Mon 08-Aug-11 20:36:17

Thanks girls. I've given him some pureed apricots, they always seem to do the trick for me. If he's no better tomorrow I'll have to get him in with the nurse/dr as I'm worried about his bottom being sore. Sorry if this is TMI, but he's getting the poo half way out then it seems he can't get it any further and it's just stuck there. It must be really horrid for him, poor little chap. Thanks again.

TelephoneTree Mon 08-Aug-11 22:11:27

my little one is having the same trouble sad
he's only been having tiny bits so i'm just going to give him nothing but milk for a day and see if that helps.

Trojan1970 Thu 11-Aug-11 19:16:52

The apricots worked, he had 5 poos the next day. I'll be slipping a spoon of apricot in with most of his food going forward!

lilham Thu 11-Aug-11 23:10:27

Hi I'm curious about this apricot trick. Is this with fresh or dried apricot? If it's dried, how do you actually puree them?

MedicalEd Fri 12-Aug-11 12:19:13

I've just fed my DD some pureed dried apricots (sweeter than fresh) so the same reason. Here's hoping! [dons rubber gloves, apron and helmet with face guard]
I chopped them up and soaked them in some warm water for an hour or two until they soften and then wizz them up with some of the water they were soaking in.

greeneone12 Sun 14-Aug-11 18:52:01

My DD suffers with constipation...10 parts water with 1 part pure orange juice always works really really well. It's horrible to see them straining sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now