Talk

Advanced search

When to start weaning prem baby, conflicting advice!

(17 Posts)
MoominsAreScary Fri 05-Aug-11 15:46:52

hv suggested waiting a few weeks after he turns 6 months then if hes sitting well try finger foods but to also check out bliss website to see what they advise

Bliss website advises to start weaning anytime after 5 months due to increased risk of iron deficiency in prem babies and not to start with finger foods,

Ds is over 5 months and now weighs around 16 lbs, he can sit up quite well in his high chair , picks things up and puts them in his mouth. He was 8 weeks prem but has caught up realy well and except for not smiling till 13 weeks doesnt seem to have any developmental delays (is sitting up, rolling etc)

Marrow Fri 05-Aug-11 20:06:43

I weaned DS (who was also eight weeks early) at six months actual age. Have you looked at the Bliss weaning booklet? There is a list in there of signs when your prem baby is ready to be weaned (different from normal baby signs)

Your DS is doing brilliantly. Mine is now eight months but still nowhere near ready to sit. I really wanted to do BLW with him but haven't as he can't sit up so have stuck to purees.

MoominsAreScary Fri 05-Aug-11 22:55:17

Thanks marrow have just had a look, he is showing all the signs of being ready. I realy wanted to try blw but think I'd feel comfortable trying purée at the moment .

kellieb7 Sat 06-Aug-11 10:56:56

Hi, my DD was 6 weeks prem and I weaned her at 6 months (actual age) as she was clearly ready. I have mainly done blw and she manages really well so just wanted to say it can be done. Have fun with the weaning grin

LittleMsH Sat 06-Aug-11 18:47:16

I came on here to ask exactly the same question. In my BLW book it suggests prem babies might need to be started on puree but I'd like to go straight in with finger food if possible. Thanks for recommending looking at prem baby weaning signs - i'll get looking at that.

missorinoco Sat 06-Aug-11 19:43:17

I posted asking this recently. That link is very helpful. I hadn't realised the guidelines are now 5-7 months. My child is nearly 6 months actual age. I've just started weaning this weekend after he took my hand and guided the food in it into his mouth. At this point I decided a few days before six months was academic. I'm trying BLW if that helps, (although I'm only on day two so it may not be much use to you!) he seems up for it.

AitchTwoOh Sat 06-Aug-11 19:46:08

gawd i was so glad i'd done blw with dd1 by the time dd2 (7 weeks prem) came along, all that conflicting advice... i was so relieved to leave it up to dd. and oddly, she started grabbing and eating food at around 5 months (7 months) which i thought was a smart move on her part, splitting the difference. grin

dmason123 Sun 07-Aug-11 22:41:39

Wow, they all sound that they doing so well for being so early!!
My dd was 4wks early but the hv advised me to wean at 17wks (actual age) but obv this is pureed food, she loves it. the reason was dd wasnt a fan of having big bottles so it works well for her mixing her milk into the food and then smaller bottles throughout the day, she was v slow at putting on weight but since she started weaning she has jumped up to the 9th centile grin and it now 11lb 13oz at 21 weeks. But then dd wasn't as prem as your ds.

MoominsAreScary Sun 07-Aug-11 23:29:23

I've tried him with some food today, he's had organic baby porridge spoon fed and i put some boiled carrot finger food on his try to see what he would do, he realy enjoyed it all even though he only managed to suck the carrot, kept dropping it so in the end he decided it would be easier to leave it on the trey and put his head down to lick it!

AitchTwoOh Sun 07-Aug-11 23:35:29

haha, clever boy.

moomin156 Wed 10-Aug-11 15:24:30

my DD was 11 weeks early and is now 20+2.......just had a discussion with hv re weaning. it would need to be pureed as she isnt putting stuff in her mouth yet other than her fists but is showing other bliss signs. think i will wait another couple of weeks and then go for it....smile

AitchTwoOh Wed 10-Aug-11 15:29:13

tbh if they are fist-chewing it might be worth seeing what happens to a bit of steamed carrot. the fact that they aren't chewing plastic toys might not signify much other than they know plastic toys aren't going to taste good.

MoominsAreScary Wed 10-Aug-11 15:30:08

Hi moomin, he's realy enjoying his food, he got all excited today when he saw his spoon! Just wondering as I'm pg again and the consultant has said there is a high possibility of a prem birth again ( last two were early) how long did your dd spend in hospital ?

missorinoco Wed 10-Aug-11 19:11:05

My son is just 26 weeks non adjusted. Four weeks ago I was saying there wsa no chance he would be ready for weaning now. I started BLW at the end of last week when he took my hands containing pizza and moved them to his mouth where he gummed on it. Within three days he was trying to do it himself (as opposed to gumming on food held in my hands whilst he held them if you are wondering what sort of BLW this is.)

I would wait and see moomin156, much may change.

moomin156 Thu 11-Aug-11 07:35:42

moomin my dd was born at 29+0 and came home at 34+6. the area we live supports discharge with an ng tube so earlier discharge is possible.

Geepers Thu 11-Aug-11 07:42:54

I weaned my twins at 26 weeks actual age, and 10 weeks adjusted. They weren't sitting (didnt sit independantly until 12 months actual) or showing any signs of needing anything other than milk. We were told to do it then so did. They obviously started with purees, they would never have managed with finger foods. In fact their pincer grasp still isn't great now at 18 months, they still tend to grab using their whole hands.

I wasn't thrilled at doing it so soon. They only weighed 10lbs and seemed so tiny and delicate but they did well and now eat excellently.

moomin156 Thu 11-Aug-11 09:09:34

The HV said we could start now with babyrice but she recommended waiting another couple of weeks and going straight to carrot purees etc. I think thats what i will do. My DD just seems to be getting hungry and having more and more milk. She is BF x2 per day with FF ( nutriprem 2) in between and puts on 7oz-1lb a week. She is now 12lb 3oz ( 2lb 9oz born) and doing fabulously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now