Talk

Advanced search

What bra stops the milk best?

(9 Posts)
Lucie3 Thu 04-Aug-11 14:11:32

Hi everyone,

Could anyone give me any advice on what bra to wear when you stop breastfeeding? I understand that you need to compress the milk ducts to stop the flow, how/what is best to do this?

I am a designer currently researching into maternity/nursing lingerie and from what i've found, or rather havent found, there isnt a bra that helps you at this stage. confused What would have been/would be the ideal solution to this? I want to create an full range of lingerie that covers everything mums need, at all stages pre and post pregnancy and I haven't found anything for this time.

What was your experience?

What did you wear?

Were you happy with it?

What would you do differently?

Any suggestions or pointers would be fantastic. Thank you in advance!

Lucie. smile

Cheeseandbiscuits Thu 04-Aug-11 18:41:34

I wore my sports bra (shock absorber) as it was tight and well supportive. I was very happy with it and wouldn't do anything differently. I think anything well fitted so that is slightly compresses does the job!

Flisspaps Thu 04-Aug-11 18:58:15

I just started wearing normal underwired bras again. No real discomfort or problems - I certainly wouldn't have forked out for a special bra designed to help stop the milk coming in, I'd have seen it as a bit of a waste of money and another addition to the unnecessary 'essential stuff' that is aimed at pregnant women and new mothers!

PaigeTurner Fri 05-Aug-11 19:27:56

Normal underwired with cabbage leaves for the first few days. It was uncomfortable but I don't think a "special" bra would have helped. Sorry.

Lucie3 Wed 10-Aug-11 08:57:56

Thank you all very much for your comments. Any info I get is of help!

Never heard of cabbage leaves! Thats an interesting one! smile

TittyBojangles Wed 10-Aug-11 21:32:33

Wouldn't buy a special bra for this and would be warey of anything tight and too compressing as would be concerned about blocked ducts leading to mastitis.

skgnome Sat 13-Aug-11 09:42:30

It took my milk a week to stop, so I just keept using my normal nursing bras and when it got to bad I expressed a little bit and that was it for me.

I wouldn't compress the milk ducts

Flisspaps Sat 13-Aug-11 10:09:09

Cabbage leaves is a very old, and very well used 'solution' for sore breasts when feeding smile

RedBlanket Sat 13-Aug-11 10:09:26

It doesnt exist because there's no need for it. My milk stopped within a couple of days of stopping feeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now