Talk

Advanced search

Rusk recipe wanted please

(6 Posts)
LakeFlyPie Wed 03-Aug-11 13:28:59

DS2 (8months) is very slow to get eating and seems to prefer crunchy texture.

Breadsticks seem to be the most popular choice but they are so salty.

Does anyone have a rusk recipe (like traditional rusks rather than Farley's biscuit type)?

I found a banana and oat recipe but they have turned out to be more like soft biscuits than crunchy rusks and stuck in his mouth making him gag spectacularly so I had to eat them

TIA

Cheeseandbiscuits Thu 04-Aug-11 18:39:41

Heres the annabel karmel one:

Rusk Recipe (makes about 18)

These are a great alternative to shop bought varieties that are full of sugar and the yoghurt, milk and egg provide a good source of calcium.

22g (8oz) plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp of tartar
50g (2oz) softened unsalted butter
50g (2oz) Yoghurt
65ml (21/2 fl oz) full-fat milk
1/2 egg beaten

Preheat the oven to 180

Sift the flour with the bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar. Soften the butter then gradually stir in the flour. Using your hands ‘rub in’ the mixture until is resembles breadcrumbs.

Combine the yoghurt, milk and egg, then add to the flour mixture, stirring until a dough is formed.

Knead the dough with your hands. Take a Ferrero Rocher sized piece of dough, roll between your hands, and then flatten using your palm. Press them really flat as they rise a fair bit.

Place rusks on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Lower the temperature to 120c and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the rusks have dried out.

Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely before serving.

Info:

Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Freeze for up to 6 months. (To defrost, wrap in foil and bake at 160 for 15 minutes.)

Tip: Take the rusks out of the oven after the first 20 minutes of baking for soft-centred toddler treats - delicious with unsalted butter.

LakeFlyPie Thu 04-Aug-11 22:09:27

Thanks Cheese smile

Although I have an irrational dislike of AK, I think she's South African so should know her rusks.

Whilst I'm sure they'll be delicious to DS2's virgin palate, I reckon they sound pretty tasteless so hopefully won't appeal to me in the same way the banana and oat ones did blush

Cheeseandbiscuits Fri 05-Aug-11 07:47:20

Didn't want me mucker to go unansweredwink

I haven't tried it, just spotted it in the book ( but cut and paste from Internet for you!) she's bloody irritating if you ask me but I do like her bookgrin

timetosleepnow Mon 08-Aug-11 14:40:33

Just wondering if this recipe worked/is any good?

LakeFlyPie Mon 08-Aug-11 23:01:46

Haven't got around to making them yet but my Mum made these and they went down very well.

Apparently for the hard ones she just gave them an extra hour in a 100 degree oven (not the 12 hour treatment suggested in the recipe).

Soft ones were a huge hit with DS1 (3) and DS2 (8mo) loved gnawing on the crunchy ones.

They are quite sweet so reckon you could halve or even omit the sugar.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now