Talk

Advanced search

How big do I cut things up?

(10 Posts)
amoney Sat 30-Jul-11 19:26:40

Just starting weaning son who is 25.5 weeks, I want to do mixture of spoon feeding and finger food, my question is how big should I cut food up? Stuff like broccoli etc I know to leave in florets but what about cheese, bread, rice cakes, fruit etc...
This is my first baby so clueless really and petrified about coming!

Will probably end up getting a book on blw but just thought all you helpful mums could give me a quick reply smile

Thank you...

amoney Sat 30-Jul-11 19:27:50

Clearly that should have read choking, oops! blush

HarrietJones Sat 30-Jul-11 19:31:14

Fist size( baby fist) or finger size for stuff like parsnip.

HarrietJones Sat 30-Jul-11 19:31:51

Your finger sorry!

sittinginthesun Sat 30-Jul-11 19:33:20

I would say big as possible, but so that they can hold it.

BertieBotts Sat 30-Jul-11 19:34:38

Yes about the size of your finger, think chips!

Things like apple and carrot which are hard but easy to snap chunks off, don't cut them like this. Either boil/steam/roast them so they are soft, or grate them, or give very thin slivers, or even with an apple you can give it to them whole once they have teeth so they can scrape at it with their teeth.

amoney Sat 30-Jul-11 21:54:20

Thank you all for your replies...

amoney Sun 31-Jul-11 14:16:26

So if I am giving him a rice cake with a topping you would halve it?

TittyBojangles Sun 31-Jul-11 21:19:02

An ordinary 'adult' rice cake, yep half it is good. A whole one is a bit much to manage at first... though fun when they get a bit bigger.

BertieBotts Sun 31-Jul-11 22:52:52

I used to give DS adult rice cakes in about quarters, because he'd suck it for a while then abandon it, and in half seemed to be wasteful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now