Talk

Advanced search

Quick cheese question

(3 Posts)
WhoahThere Mon 25-Jul-11 16:48:42

Hi, is cheddar ok to give dd (6mo)? She really likes sticks as finger food but obviously it's pretty high in salt. Do I just need to limit it because of salt content or should I try and find a low salt alternative?

Thanks all

Seona1973 Mon 25-Jul-11 18:23:47

we used cheddar and red leicester

gourd Tue 26-Jul-11 11:11:11

A small amount of salty chese is fine. Our LO eats any type of cheese, including blue cheeses which do tend to be salty. Her first taste of cheese at 24 weeks was tasty Lancashire which is pretty salty, as is any mature cheese, but such a small amount got eaten and she has no other salt except in bread, that I didn't worry about it. If you're concerned about salt and/or your LO is eating a lot of cheese, try using mostly soft young cheeses as they are a lot less salty than hard mature ones. Soft young goats cheeses, most spreadable cream cheeses and and ricotta are relatively low in salt. Inglewhite (from Preston, Lancashire) goats and ewe's cheeses are harder cheeses, but are still reasonably low in salt compared to similar Lancs ones such as Syke's Fell - which is lovely but does actually taste very salty. Perhaps just limit intake of cheeses that taste overtly salty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now