Talk

Advanced search

BLW, how does it work?!

(8 Posts)
mummyandpig Mon 25-Jul-11 15:08:40

Hello,

My DS is 22 weeks, so coming up for weaning and I am very excited! I like the idea of Baby Led Weaning and from experience (with calpol etc) know that my DS is not that keen on spoons.

Is it something that you can realistically do from the moment you introduce food? What kind of foods would you just be able to place infront of a baby for eating, without being worried about choking etc?

TIA

HarrietJones Mon 25-Jul-11 19:58:55

In theory baby can have anything except honey & whole nuts. Some things like grapes /cherry toms need cutting in half.also limit salt as they are only allowed a tiny amount a day

Lots of people swear by roast veg as a first food, roast parsnips are good as they are easy to hold

RitaMorgan Mon 25-Jul-11 20:11:11

First things ds had were cucumber sticks (mostly just sucked), soft cooked broccoli, carrot sticks, roast parsnip sticks, roast pumpkin, banana (struggled with this at first as it is slippery until I worked out how to trim the skin off so it was half peeled with skin on the bottom as a hand hold), sticky rice and mashed potato (eaten by the handful), toast with things spread on it.

Started with ds at 23 weeks, so held off on meat, eggs and dairy until 6 months.

RitaMorgan Mon 25-Jul-11 20:12:19

I avoided raw apple, raw carrot, whole nuts, big blueberries, whole grapes etc as a choking risk.

HarrietJones Mon 25-Jul-11 21:14:33

I squash stuff like blueberries/peas

mummyandpig Mon 25-Jul-11 21:25:09

Thanks, that's all reassuring. I was thinking of starting with avocado and banana.

After BLW have any of you had trouble progressing on to spoons or cutlery?

HarrietJones Mon 25-Jul-11 22:02:50

Dd3 is 9 months & uses a spoon sometimes . It has to be her doing it though

TittyBojangles Tue 26-Jul-11 08:55:05

I found stuff he could pick up more easily i.e. not too squishy or slimey (banana falls into these catagories) was much better at the beginning. Roast sweet potato is his favourite. Also toast or rice cakes with anything (banana, avocado, humous, cream cheese, tuna, fruit spread, peanut butter) on is usually a hit. Whole fruits such as nectarines, pears etc are good too. DS' first food was a strawberry, very messy!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now