Talk

Advanced search

BLW for baby that totally refuses purees. Has CMPI and reflux.

(7 Posts)
JungleJunction Mon 25-Jul-11 10:56:32

Haven't had time to scan the board, sorry. Have crying baby on lap and need a bit of advice.

DS is 6 1/2 months and refusing all foods that I have offered. He acts as though they are poison! He is CMPI and got severe reflux which is controlled by drugs. Have just spoken to a dietician who says this refusal to wean is very common and they do better on finger foods but it will take time to get him to eat and will not be easy. I have also been told to cut down his milk (not looking forward to the nights to come!)

So, it seems BLW is the way forward. He has to avoid all milk obviously. Can anyone recommend a book or link which will help and advise me?! I weaned my other child the traditional way over 6 years ago and feel a bit thrown by this. sad

Thank you.

TheRealMBJ Mon 25-Jul-11 11:00:58

CMPI?

I did BLW with DS and although he did try a lot of different foods and flavours he really did get the overwhelming majority of his calories from milk (bf) until he was a year old. I tried not to stress about it and he now eats very well (18 months). he still has 'off' days but he mostly eats a wide variety.

TheRealMBJ Mon 25-Jul-11 11:01:43

Ah, I see cow's milk protein intolerance?

TheRealMBJ Mon 25-Jul-11 11:03:17

website and book

JungleJunction Mon 25-Jul-11 11:24:29

Thank you! I have ordered the book and will check the website out later. Any top tips you can pass on to make this easier?

JungleJunction Mon 25-Jul-11 11:27:14

Also wanted to say that I do not want his food refusal to become an issue, I am quite relaxed about him and his weight but am just dreading cutting milk down in case it leads to earlier wakings (already gets up at 5.30am).

Will be nice not to have to puree as well!

TheRealMBJ Mon 25-Jul-11 11:34:55

I didn't really cut down on the milk at all, but because he was demand bf, I was very much led by him.

I would offer him something from my plate at meal times, essentially. I would take it directly off my plate and put it on his while he was watching. It seemed to help him try it. I would also let him help himself from my plate.

Breakfast was always a little trickier, but if you can manage mess, I just have him porridge and a spoon and let him go for it. Very little got in, but it was less stressful than trying to spoon feed him as he absolutely refused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now