Talk

Advanced search

When do you wean an ex-prem baby?

(5 Posts)
missorinoco Sun 24-Jul-11 20:50:37

I've had conflicting advice. The BF counsellor said to wait until the adjusted age is 6 months, but to look out for signs of readiness (as per BLW). But I've also heard people with earlier (i.e. more premature) babies being told to wean as per standard advice at non-adjusted 6 months.

TIA.

SandStorm Sun 24-Jul-11 20:53:08

My prem baby was weaned at 4 months (adjusted) although in those days 4 months was the given for weaning.

poorbuthappy Sun 24-Jul-11 21:15:35

Twins were 6 weeks prem and we were told to do it at 6 months as normal. But tbh they weren't ready so I went with mostly blw and didn't drop milk feeds for a good while. They weren't my first so perhaps I was slightly less uptight about it so basically just went with them. I had terrible trouble with my first and I was determined not to go through the same thing again!! Let them take the lead and don't be put off by well meaning older people telling you they should be on 3 meals a day by the second day of trying!!
On the other hand they could take to it like a duck to water. wink

Geepers Sun 24-Jul-11 21:16:08

We were told to wean at 6 months actual age. My babies were 10 weeks adjusted and it did seem too young but we followed advice and they did okay.

missorinoco Mon 25-Jul-11 13:41:06

That's helpful, thanks. I want to do BLW again, so I'll see how we go at 6 months actual age, although as poorbuthappy found with her twins I suspect he won't be quite ready then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now