Talk

Advanced search

When/how to introduce cow's milk as a drink and how much per day?

(4 Posts)
gourd Fri 22-Jul-11 09:24:42

OK I know it's 12 months for cow's milk as as drink - but how, when (what times of day) how much?

LO is 10 months now and breastfeeds 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening only. She eats cow's, goat's and ewe's milk cheeses and cow's milk yogurt daily, but I have not replaced any dropped breastfeeds (she dropped all the others completely voluntarily) with any other milk. Do I just offer milk in her doidy cup with a meal or snack in addition to her usual breastfeeds when she gets to 12 months? She eats every two or three hours. I'm in no rush to drop the remaining 2x10 minute breastfeeds though. Do I wait till she decides she doesn't want one of those breastfeeds then try offering a cup of milk instead? But that might, or might not be months after she reaches one year old! And then, how much should she be drinking each time/per day?

RitaMorgan Fri 22-Jul-11 09:27:43

They don't have to have cow's milk to drink - it's just that if you choose to replace a breastfeed, before 12 months it has to be formula and after 12 months you can choose to use cow's milk instead.

If she's still breastfed you don't need to give her cow's milk.

Flisspaps Fri 22-Jul-11 09:43:25

What RitaMorgan said.

gourd Fri 22-Jul-11 10:16:18

I only didn't replace feeds as she seemed to drop them by herself as she started to eat more and has never taken a bottle so there wasn't really a way to introduce any other type of milk anyway. In fact she didn't really drop any breastfeeds at all till 8 months then went from 6-8 a day to 2 with nothing in between so I guessed she must be getting enough. She's never taken a bottle so obviously I wasn't going to start at that point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now