Talk

Advanced search

Anyone tried caulli cheese with Goats Cheese?

(5 Posts)
greeneone12 Mon 18-Jul-11 16:07:56

I imagine it would be horrible!

EPPP Tue 19-Jul-11 10:25:45

I caught a whiff of the goats cheese stall at the market last week, can't imagine what it would smell like combined with the cauliflower pong!

tigermummy35 Tue 19-Jul-11 19:05:41

You can buy a hard goat cheese, much like cheddar and it makes a lovely cheese sauce. I can't eat cows cheese or milk, so make cheese sauce with goats milk and cheese smile

rodformyownback Tue 19-Jul-11 21:58:28

I made cheese sauce with a mixture of cheddar and goat's cheese last week, it was lovely! (hardly ever make cauli cheese, dh has a cauliflower phobia hmm). I should have taken the rind off though, it didn't melt properly and was a bit lumpy.

gourd Fri 22-Jul-11 11:21:01

Surely it depends what type of cheese it is, not what milk it's made from? Hard goats cheeses melt down just as well as cow's. They are of course quite salty - generally the harder the cheese the more mature and salty it is. Inglewhite (preston. Lancs) goats cheese is a fairly hard and not salty tasting cheese which might work OK. The best cheeses for sauces though are the really hard ones like Spanish Ibores goat's cheese or the sheep's cheese Manchego - similar to Parmesan in texture, but that means that they are of course just as salty as Parmesan - although you do use use very little, as they are also just as strong as Parmesan in flavour too. There's a mixed hard cow's, goats, sheeps cheese called Iberico that is also an excellent one for sauces and for topping pasta dishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now