Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what can a 23 week old baby eat?

(4 Posts)
suzym1984 Mon 18-Jul-11 12:10:00

Hi!

I have been weaning my DS for about a week now, and he is doing really well, he loves all fruit and veg purees that he has been given, and wolfs down baby rice (despite it looking like wallpaper paste!). However, I am keen to start him on 'real' food, so he doesnt get used to sweet purees.

I know they say 26 weeks for dairy, meat, gluten etc, but what exactly will change in those 3 weeks? should I just try him with some yoghurt on a morning? And toast, meat etc? or stick to the rules?

Sorry this probably makes me sound stupid, but I dont want to give him something hes not ready for, but I also dont want him to only want purees and then refuse other foods.

RitaMorgan Mon 18-Jul-11 18:28:33

You can give him brocolli florets, sticks of roast veg, rice cakes etc if you want to try real foods.

A 5 month old won't refuse other foods because they didn't taste them before 6 months, so don't worry about that.

suzym1984 Mon 18-Jul-11 21:16:35

Thanks Rita, I had awful visions of him only ever wanting veg puree! So can I just give him these to hold and 'gum'? wont he choke? and how do babies manage rice cakes?

So do you think I should wait three more weeks before trying yoghurt etc?

Thank you for replying x x

RitaMorgan Mon 18-Jul-11 21:32:06

Is your ds sitting up well and able to co-ordinate picking up food and getting it to his mouth? If so you can just give him suitable soft foods and let him gum them - they can manage pretty well biting and chewing stuff with their gums and if they bite off a bit that is too big they will gag it back up (very different to choking which is silent, with gagging they cough and splutter til they bring it back out.) With rice cakes my ds used to suck them to death!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now