Talk

Advanced search

Early Weaning

(17 Posts)
HumptyDumpty1 Sat 16-Jul-11 11:46:49

We've been advised to start weaning early for various reasons (DD 16 weeks) and so I've started on baby rice (as advised) and was going to move onto root veg and then fruit (as advised).

DH has this morning decided he was going to give her mashed banana as she doesn't like baby rice, even though we were advised not to.

Is there any reasons why fruit isn't given first? Even when the HV was saying which foods she never mentioned bananas...so I'm freaking out a bit lol

Tia

Seona1973 Sat 16-Jul-11 12:13:22

nothing wrong with missing out baby rice and giving fruit/veg. I'd make sure the banana is properly ripe or it could cause tummy ache - you may need to thin it with water or milk (breast/formula) as it is quite thick when mashed.

HumptyDumpty1 Sat 16-Jul-11 12:14:49

Ahh good thanks smile

RitaMorgan Sat 16-Jul-11 13:49:59

You need to avoid eggs, dairy, gluten, protein, nuts and shellfish before 6 months I think, and whole nuts and salt before 12 months. The only reason traditional advise is to give veg before fruit is that it is believed by some to give babies a sweet tooth so they'll reject veg later.

HumptyDumpty1 Sat 16-Jul-11 14:02:29

Thanks Rita that's helpful - I'm always worried I'll give something I shouldn't. Am I right in thinking that it's not the quantity at the minute it's just for different tastes and to practice swallowing?

4madboys Sat 16-Jul-11 14:04:59

banana is a good first food BUT it can cause some babies to get a bit constipated, just a thought, so make sure she drinks plenty ie her usual milk or a bit of water, or give her some pureed apricots, prunes etc if she seems consitpated smile

RitaMorgan Sat 16-Jul-11 14:20:13

It depends what the reasons for weaning early are I suppose.

4madboys Sat 16-Jul-11 14:25:29

oh and i have an immune boosting cook book, good for those with allergies and stuff and it recomends not giving potatoes and peppers before 9mths? something to do with them being from the deadly nightshade variety of plants? anyway i have always done that as well, but allergies run in my family. smile

and weaning is normally about tastes etc to begin with but i am assuming that you are weaning early for the need for food? best to speak to your gp/hv or whoever has informed you to wean early.

remember your baby only has a TINY tummy still tho, so very small amounts, even an ice cube of puree will be a lot for her smile

my dd is 7mth and now has 6ice cubes at each meal, four of savoury veg etc and then one of yog mixed with fruit for afters, she has only very recently gone up to four ice cubes and still has milk as well obviously smile

HumptyDumpty1 Sat 16-Jul-11 14:31:34

Thanks 4madboys, HV advised sweet potato for the first veg, does this come under the potato category or was it just regular pots?

4madboys Sat 16-Jul-11 14:34:18

no its just regular pots, sweet potatoes are fine, my dd loves sweet potao, i now mix it with carrots, or broccolli etc and she had it the other day with some beef stew, carrots, broccoli and celery and loved it smile

butternut squash is another good one as well smile

HumptyDumpty1 Sat 16-Jul-11 17:33:44

Thanks smile I'll give up the baby rice and head for the sweet pots!

4madboys Sat 16-Jul-11 17:42:35

yeah baby rice is really not all that nice! sweet pots are yummy, i love mashed sweet pot with a lamb roast!

HumptyDumpty1 Sat 16-Jul-11 18:36:51

I love sweet pots too, DH doesn't like them though so we never have them sad (his mum did wean him on Weetabix though hmm !!)

I'll be munching on what DD leaves grin

Cheeseandbiscuits Sun 17-Jul-11 15:01:06

HI humpty

We started weaning a few weeks ago at 18 weeks after DD kept stealing food off my plate and shoving it in her mouth!
She loves plain rice cakes, carrot, sweet potato and banana. Baby porridge is a hit too. Apple was a disaster!

Cheeseandbiscuits Sun 17-Jul-11 15:02:26

Oh and she has good hand mouth coordination so will suck on cucumber and very ripe banana too

HumptyDumpty1 Sun 17-Jul-11 15:35:22

Hi cheeseandbiscuits smile

Tried DD with porridge this morning and she was much happier! She was chewing in DH's banana yday before he mashed it up hahaha.

Cheeseandbiscuits Sun 17-Jul-11 21:24:32

DD likes porridge with mashed banana. She had carrot and sweet potato, 4 mini rice cakes and 1/4 mashed banana for dinner! Blimey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now