Talk

Advanced search

Weaning a reflux baby - a bit freaked

(6 Posts)
LunaticFringe Fri 15-Jul-11 23:06:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chocolateOrCake Sat 16-Jul-11 10:13:49

I had to speed wean my refluxy baby at 5 1/2 months for reasons I won't bore you with - he went quite happily from no solids to three meals a day in less than a week (plus plenty of BM). I'm afraid it did make the vomit more unpleasant.

Some advice I was given was that refluxy babies tend to:
Hate stage 2 manufactured baby food - something about the consistency of the lumps, they are fine with home-made lumpy food.
Reject tomato flavours.
Like stronger flavours.

I have definitely found the tomato thing to be true, I could only get him to take it by adding lots of cream, basically to make it less acidic. I do think the avoiding bland thing might be true too.

Is your ds on anything other than ranitidine? I thought this just reduced stomach acid rather than preventing vomiting. My DS is also on domperidone - which makes food leave the stomach more quickly and infant gaviscon - which helps stop the vomiting. I didn't like the gaviscon when we first used it before weaning as it made him constipated but it seems to be fine now and I think it helps, he has a cup of water and gaviscon with each meal.

I also try to make sure he sits up for a while after each meal, it used to be in his chair in front of the TV (put PFBness on hold for sanity) but now he is sitting unaided he can just play with his toys surrounded by cushions.

He is 7 1/2 months now and does still vomit a small amount after some meals so I keep him in a bib but a couple of weeks ago I was banking on changing my clothes as well as his a couple of times a day due to puking. The change may well be due to him sitting up most of the time now - I've heard in plenty of places that this is the turning point for a lot of babies so we did a lot of sitting practice!

LunaticFringe Sat 16-Jul-11 20:16:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pseudo341 Thu 21-Jul-11 08:27:43

I found weaning to be the best way of controlling the vomit, started my DD at 4 1/2 months on purees and the moved her onto a mainly solids diet dropping most of the milk at 6 months and the vomit almost entirely stopped. This was under medical advisement so I'm not suggesting you follow suit or anything, just letting you know my experience. DD is also on omeprazole which had reduced the vomit a bit but it's definitely the weaning that's had the biggest effect.

I'd suggest pear puree as a good one to start with, easy to get it really smooth and it's not too offensive when it comes back up. If you've got issues dealing with vomit then definitely avoid fish until you're well established, fed it to DD for the first time when I didn't realize she had a stomach bug, I think we were both traumatized by the results!

DD also has ongoing constipation problems, I'm pretty sure baby rice made it worse, as did potato, carrot, and quite a few other things. Prune puree in baby porridge used to go down very well though.

cryhavoc Thu 21-Jul-11 08:38:06

My DD was really small, mostly due to her reflux, and I was advised to start weaning early. Strong flavours - I kicked off with carrots and greens, and go for cheese/cream based sauces rather than tomato.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but it didn't stop the vomit. DD continued merrily throwing up everywhere until she was about 13 months. The most horrifying vomit was after weetabix, so maybe you could give that a miss...

Good luck, and remember, this too shall pass.

freybean Thu 28-Jul-11 10:45:44

i started weaning my little refluxer at 15 weeks, and very happy i did.

i started her off on the baby porridge and rusks (tut tut). she is only a little bit sick after having milk but the food stays down. i have also managed to stop her meds at 17 weeks. we are avoiding fruit at the mo as it disagrees with her (not sure if thats anything to do with reflux?) but by looking at this thread it seems a bit hit and miss

btw weaned baby poo stinks.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now