Talk

Advanced search

Those of you whose children have grown out of dairy intolerance

(11 Posts)
Paschaelina Wed 13-Jul-11 09:43:29

Approximately what age did it happen?

RuthChan Wed 13-Jul-11 19:56:56

My DS was intolerant to dairy from birth.
I had to cut all dairy from my diet while breast feeding because it caused him to vomit severely after every feed.
I noticed an improvement from about 10 months.
When he was 13 months I weaned him and from that point on he drank cow's milk and consumed dairy directly himself every day with no ill effects.

With DD she was 3 when (on paed advice) we started to introduce foods, but she had multiple food intolerances (dairy, wheat, egg, soy, nuts, celery and some more I can't remember now)

She's mostly fine now (age 12) but she watches her own milk intake and still has "sore tummy" days if she takes too much milk.

hwhite6 Wed 13-Jul-11 20:58:56

DS1 started growing out of it about 14m, able to eat cheese & yoghurt now. The dietician wanted us to challenge his other allergies before attempting liquid cows milk. Over the last 8m we've had success with gluten, wheat& soya, so I can imagine they'll want us to test out proper milk soon... Probably about 2yrs old by then.
Just about to start the DF weaning all over again for DS2!

LilRedWG Wed 13-Jul-11 21:01:18

DD was diagnosed at 10months and grew out of it approximately a year later.

Gargula Wed 13-Jul-11 21:03:18

DS diagnosed at 7 weeks as dairy intolerant, connected to his severe reflux - grew out of both at about a year.

Paschaelina Wed 13-Jul-11 22:34:33

A wide range then. My Boy doesn't suffer so much with his stomach, more his skin - hives and exacerbation of his generally mild eczema.

I was rather hoping by about 18 months it would be better but maybe he will be stuck with it for a while longer. He's only 10 months old right now.

LittlePushka Wed 13-Jul-11 23:02:40

DS lactose intolerant from birth, he is almost five now. he can tolerate everything now except pure milk. We "tested" him at various points in last five years and always left it about 9-12 months before we tried again. At about 4 or 4.4 we noticed he could manage new foods previously off the menu though still not milk as yet. (Not a problem though!).

So for him it was a long road.

hester Wed 13-Jul-11 23:06:59

crystalglasses Wed 13-Jul-11 23:15:44

dd2 is 22 and still (severely) lactose intolerant. label reading is a way of ife but she takes a pill from the Health shop called Lactase when she wants to occasionally indulge in something creamy but is frightened of taking it too often in case she becomes immune to it.

okiecokie Thu 14-Jul-11 11:34:49

somewhere between 18 and 24 months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now