Talk

Advanced search

Reducing milk feeds using BLW - Help please!

(4 Posts)
Rachypeeps Thu 07-Jul-11 09:51:13

Hi all
I am currently using the BLW method to wean my little boy who is now 8 months old. He is breastfed and he is doing very well and has anything and everything food wise 3 times a day.
I need a bit of advice on how to cut down his milk feedssooner as unfortunately I have been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis and need to be on medication. I don't want to continue breastfeeding whilst on meds so i need to find a way to start weaning him off his milk a lot sooner than BLW dictates.
Would anyone have any advice or suggestions that might be able to help me at all?
Any info would be gratefully received.
Thanks
x

splatt Thu 07-Jul-11 21:08:19

Why not switch to bottles of formula? They still need 3 milk feeds a day, as I understand it, until they're 1. DD is the same age and has 3 7 oz bottles a day along with solids. You've done amazingly well to breast feed to 8 months, but it sounds like formula may now be the answer for your health.

rodformyownback Thu 07-Jul-11 23:01:53

Agree with Splatt, even if you stopped doing blw your ds would still need plenty of milk until he's 1, so formula would seem the way to go. If he won't take bottles you could try a tippy cup or a doidy cup?

Rachypeeps Fri 08-Jul-11 10:06:51

Thanks guys, much appreciated. It's so hard to start going on to bottles full time having breastfed for this long. He's had bottles before but not given by me and i think he's quite reluctant to get take his milk from a bottle when he's got the real thing right next to him!
I will try it gradually though i think, maybe start with one feed a day what do you guys think?
Also can i ask another question? : ) ..... How long after food do you guys give them their milk?
Thanks
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now