Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

7 month old cant sit in high chair

(15 Posts)
familyfun Tue 05-Jul-11 22:01:21

dd is 7 months and not sitting yet. we have a chicco high chair which seems huge, im sure my 4 year old could fit in it, dd2 just slides sideways even with straps tightened, holding her is a hassle as she wriggles and covers me in food, had a bumbo for dd1 but she rolled out at 7 months??

EldonAve Tue 05-Jul-11 22:07:33

cheap ikea highchair instead?

familyfun Tue 05-Jul-11 22:12:52

are they really small?
i have no idea why they make high chairs so huge, the gap is enormous, surely no 2 year old is that big

Icoulddoitbetter Tue 05-Jul-11 22:15:10

I'd get the Antilop from Ikea with the blow-up insert. That gives support at the back and sides.

Although DS didn't sit in a highchair until he could sit, I've always found that he slumps in any other type of high chair.

Plus, the Antilop is £12.99!!!!

LaVitaBellissima Tue 05-Jul-11 22:15:58

I have 8 month old twins who can't sit up. I use the ikea antilops, they are brilliant and you can buy an inflatabel cushion that holds them in even better. I would definitely reccomend them.

I know what you mean about sizing, I have just bought a Maclaren twin pushchair to take on holiday, says it's suitable fom birth, but I can't see how confused the girls look tiny in it!

LaVitaBellissima Tue 05-Jul-11 22:16:24

inflatable obviuosly blush

LaVitaBellissima Tue 05-Jul-11 22:16:49

obviously - bloody phone blush blush

TittyBojangles Wed 06-Jul-11 08:21:19

Another vote for the antilop here. DS (8mo) sits absolutely fine in it and has done since about 5mo with the inflatable insert. I have had to deflate the insert a bit now as he is a little piggy bit squashed. Also, I take the insert out with us if we will be eating somewhere as places often have those wooden highchairs that are massive for a little one and I find it easier wedging him in with the insert than faffing around with blankets etc which just end up sliding around and getting covered in munge. HTH

TheresAHuppoInMyHouse Wed 06-Jul-11 10:27:42

I fed DD in her bouncy recliner until she could sit up in the highchair. When feeding her if we were out, I just held her on my lap and shovelled it all in. Now she's 8months and has been in the highchair for a couple of weeks smile

Ruthselina Wed 06-Jul-11 12:25:57

aother Antilp fan here - and they are easy to hose down with the shower (or outside with the hosepipie as I've been doing this week)

HarrietJones Wed 06-Jul-11 12:29:10

We have an antilop. Dd3 struggles when out & they have high chairs that recline slightly. She wants to be up straight!

TittyBojangles Wed 06-Jul-11 17:42:12

I agree with the sitting upright thing.... definately can't feed DS unless he's sitting bolt upright. Don't know if thats anything to do with BLW and so dealing with bigger lumps etc so maybe more risk of gagging?

Jojay Wed 06-Jul-11 17:49:29

I would never feed a baby in a reclined position, that's a huge choking risk - sorry.

Ds2 couldn't sit up at 6 months, but managed fine in an Antilop with a cushion behind him - a normal cushion not the proper insert.

Otherwise Bumbo's work ok I think?

VeronicaCake Wed 06-Jul-11 19:40:31

Our solution to the big highchair (and no access to Ikea) problem was to take an old camping mat and cut out lots of booster cushion shaped sections from it and stick them together. Then as DD got bigger we simply peeled off the layers until finally we could chuck it out all together.

familyfun Fri 08-Jul-11 11:21:52

thanks all, i have been holding her on my lap again the last few days but will try and get an insert.
i feel like asking the manufacturers why they make them so huge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now