Talk

Advanced search

what cereal for breakfast?

(28 Posts)
familyfun Tue 05-Jul-11 21:58:12

dd is 7 months, she has baby porridge/cereal that you mix with water or toast at the moment, what normal cereal are ok for babies to eat, not too sugary?
thanks

LadyWithNoManors Tue 05-Jul-11 21:59:27

My DC's loved Weetabix.

familyfun Tue 05-Jul-11 22:02:01

crispy or really soaked in milk? can i use cows milk?

girliefriend Tue 05-Jul-11 22:02:55

readibrek, weetabix - am struggling to remember what I gave my dd for breakfast (she is now 5yo!!!)

girliefriend Tue 05-Jul-11 22:04:08

yes cows milk is fine with cereal from 6months, my dd liked it mushy with warm milk (starting to come back to me now!!!)

familyfun Tue 05-Jul-11 22:07:15

i have a 4 year old and have no recollection of what she ate blush

winnybella Tue 05-Jul-11 22:09:33

Tbh a regular porridge would be the healthiest option as no salt/sugar etc. DD likes hers cooked with milk or just mixed with natural fromage frais or yoghurt.

winnybella Tue 05-Jul-11 22:10:26

And obv. you can throw in some banana or berries.

familyfun Tue 05-Jul-11 22:11:52

we have weetabix in cupboard so will try that tomorrow, so readibrek and porridge ok, thanks

TheresAHuppoInMyHouse Wed 06-Jul-11 10:30:19

I mix some rice crispies in with fruit puree and natural yoghurt, seems to go down a treat but I don't think it's the healthiest brekker I could offer!

kimberlina Wed 06-Jul-11 13:16:26

My DD likes shreddies cos she can pick them up easily. Think they do have some salt/sugar in though blush

beetlebat Wed 06-Jul-11 22:06:33

We alternate between Shreddies and Weetabix with porridge (made from oats and milk) on occassion, which is much the least popular option. DD is now 14 mths but we did BLW and she could self feed all of these from 7 or 8 mths, if I remember rightly. Weetabix is dipped in milk and then the whole thing handed over and Shreddies dunked a few at a time.

kimberlina I've just compared the nutritional values of Shreddies and Weetabix (well, Sainsbury's versions) and the salt contents are virtually the same and the sugar content not a great deal higher in the Shreddies. I have become much more laid back about these sort of things since friends have told me their toddlers will only eat Coco Pops etc for breakfast!

kimberlina Wed 06-Jul-11 22:12:29

Thanks beetlebat - I shall keep dunking those shreddies then grin

familyfun Fri 08-Jul-11 11:23:54

yeah, she ate half a weetabix soaked in milk and when i told her all gone she looked in the bowl disappointed grin
success.
will try regular porridge oats next, thanks

FloweryBoots Tue 12-Jul-11 18:29:05

My DS is loving mini shreaded wheets (though admitadle the ones with raisins or cranberries in the middle). He used to love porridge but is on an indipendant streak and these he can feed himself.

mousesma Tue 12-Jul-11 18:34:07

My DD loves either mini shredded wheat or porridge mixed with a few crushed berries. FloweryBoots I have one that will not tolerate a spoon either smile so I make DDs porridge really thick and then leave it to cool so it soldifies and can be cut it into wedges.

birdofthenorth Tue 12-Jul-11 18:40:12

DD 10 mo has a few Cherios, a bit of fruit & a little toast, but is not a big breakie fan & often ignores it then wolfs down lunch!

rodformyownback Wed 13-Jul-11 00:03:05

reddybrek or supermarket's own don't tend to have added salt or sugar (although do check the label!) and are fortified with all the same stuff as baby porridge
I moved ds2 on to Morrison's own "instant oat cereal" when I realised how much cheaper it is than the specifically baby stuff. The only difference is you have to make it with hot milk. I cool it down with cubes of fruit puree from the freezer.
Ds1 used to have weetabix at this age but as I remember it contains added salt.

theborrower Thu 14-Jul-11 21:59:01

My DD (now 11 months) loves readybrek and weetabix. We often mix it with fruit puree or mashed banana but she'll eat it without. It's a million times cheaper than baby cereals, and remember you can use cow's milk rather than formula or ebm. And readybrek is sooo quick in the microwave. I've become an addict now too!

Meglet Thu 14-Jul-11 22:00:44

Oatibix with banana / raspberries / squished blueberries.

I found weetabix was a PITA to clean off the walls / table / high chair / the baby. That stuff is like superglue once it sets.

Paschaelina Thu 14-Jul-11 22:01:53

You could try using yoghurt instead of milk as an alternative. Boy has this with his weetabix because he has trouble with dairy, goes down a storm. I use plain soya yoghurt mixed with whatever fruit is around.

YellowCecil Wed 20-Jul-11 21:27:16

DD loves readibreck with mashed or pureed fruit, and cows milk. It doesn't contain any salt or sugar but is fortified, and as someone said it is about a fifth of the price of "baby" porridge. I make myself normal porridge and DD readibreck and we sit and eat breakfast together very happily! I think she likes to know that I am eating the same thing as her.

pointydog Wed 20-Jul-11 21:44:09

weetabix mashed with banana

vespalover Fri 22-Jul-11 08:42:54

Hi - can anyone tell me if all of the suggested cereals, i.e. regular porridge, weetabix, shredded wheat etc ok from 6 months?

Paschaelina Fri 22-Jul-11 13:09:29

The three you mentioned are fine from 6 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now