Talk

Advanced search

BLWers - when did your baby actually start eating food?

(18 Posts)
halfdrunktea Tue 05-Jul-11 20:20:13

I have a 7.5mo son who I'm attempting to BLW. Whilst he quite enjoys playing with food, it's rare for any of it to actually be eaten. Mostly he puts it in his mouth, licks it and drops it on the floor. Sometimes he doesn't even put it in his mouth, just waves it around (despite putting absolutely everything else in his mouth). We usually give finger foods of steamed or stir-fried vegetables, fruit, bread or scrambled eggs. I know he occasionally eats a tiny amount as there's sometimes some evidence of it in his nappy (usually looking exactly the same as it went in).

I've read the BLW book which said don't expect babies to eat much for the first few months, milk is still the main form of nutrition, etc, but I worry sometimes if just milk (he's BF) is enough. He is still not quite sitting unaided and doesn't have any teeth yet. I have halfheartedly tried purees and am wondering whether to try them again, but he just tries to grab the spoon and usually doesn't swallow them either. Reassurance from people with older babies that they do eventually start eating would be gratefully received!

drystonewarning Tue 05-Jul-11 20:26:59

It was about 8.5 or 9 months - I remember we were on holiday in Cornwall and DS devoured a whole pasty and I nearly fell over backwards! At 7.5 months we were definitely at the sniff lick and throw stage with everything I put in front of him wink. Feel like one needs nerves of steel for this blw malarky..

HarrietJones Tue 05-Jul-11 20:31:08

Dd3 was about 8 months. Pretty much overnight.

DuelingFanjo Tue 05-Jul-11 20:35:03

very interested in this thread as my DS (just over 6 months) is the same, including the spoon waving. he prefers to have the spoon than me put it in his mouth and when I tried to spoon feed him today he vomited loads.

good to hear that all this licking and throwing is normal, hopefully when he gets to 8 months or so he will click.

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Tue 05-Jul-11 20:39:12

overnight from the six months
her first taste was MY brocolli from MY plate grin on the evening 2 dys after she turned 24 weeks

she grabbed it and ate it

from then for a good few months she just ate off my plate absolutely EVERYTHING she could pick up (which was everything, custard picked up by a 7 month old is interesting grin)

she loves chilli con carne, curry and pasta anything
the only things she isn't keen on is bread and sweets hmm

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Tue 05-Jul-11 20:40:59

oh god sorry, I should have read the op properly
i dont mean to make you feel bad
my other two older kids were a nightmare with food I so so relieved that she is an eater

honestly, there very litle sniff and lick and no throwing, she just wanted to stuff it all in and eat it

I was over the moon, sorry

DuelingFanjo Tue 05-Jul-11 20:44:11

did you get any gagging at all trinity? I am most freaked out by the gagging.

DuelingFanjo Tue 05-Jul-11 20:44:12

did you get any gagging at all trinity? I am most freaked out by the gagging.

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Tue 05-Jul-11 20:49:45

I am incredibly freaked out by ANYONE gaggin let alone my own children nd she did gag a couple of times ovber the firsy few days

and I breathed and let her get on with it

she is 4 now and the best eater of the three of them

she eats hot curries and flaps her hands in front of her mouth and has a swig of drink and ploughs straight back in

I am amazed by her

Yama Tue 05-Jul-11 20:53:42

It took my ds about two days of chewing the food and not knowing that he should swallow it to learning how to swallow it and that he really really likes to swallow it.

A few more days and he was forcing fistfuls of food down his gullet. This was at 6 months and he hasn't stopped. He is 10 months and at times eats more than his 5 year old sister.

She was never a big eater though. I guess some kids like their food, others not so much. I think that this is the case regardless of how food is introduced.

Yama Tue 05-Jul-11 20:56:15

Aye Trin, my ds munched down his curry this evening like it was going out of fashion.

Good as he is at eating though he has never, and I mean never taken a bottle. The wee rascal.

goldenbaby Wed 06-Jul-11 14:47:52

I'm also very interested in this thread. DS is 6.5 months and although he is very interested in food he doesn't seem to be swallowing much. As OP said, the evidence is in his nappy, pretty much as it went in!

Definitely need nerves of steel. However, going by what others have said, it seems as though it is worth persevering for quite a few weeks yet before despairing.

halfdrunktea Wed 06-Jul-11 20:06:45

Trin, don't worry, I'm curious about when other BLW babies start eating some food even if it's a lot earlier than mine! I hope he will start eating soon. Feeling a bit neglectful I'm not giving him Annabel Karmel purees.

Jojay Wed 06-Jul-11 20:13:50

Ds2 was about 8 months before he ate any sort of amount. Once he got going he was away, but the first couple of months were nail biting.

Things like melon and mango, that are juicy and taste yummy at first lick, went down better than veg initially.

But he loves his veggies now.

MamaChocoholic Wed 06-Jul-11 20:14:15

ds1 gagged lots and vomited when we first tried weaning. he didn't actually eat much for ages, and when he did he didn't digest it for ages after that (deduced from nappies).

dt1 has been actually eating since the first day of weaning I think (also 26 weeks), and although she has gagged once or twice, never vomited. dt2 gagged and vomited once, and has been much more cautious in his approach, but will eat bread and biscuits now (9mo). both their nappies suggest they are digesting the food they eat, and I now think ds1 just wasn't ready even though we waited till 26 weeks.

I don't know if the gagging correlates with ability to digest, but I would just let them take their time as long as they are enjoying getting to know food.

DuelingFanjo Wed 06-Jul-11 20:28:02

I tried Melon today and he loved it. Out of interest do people leave the skins on things like Melon? I did as he seems to be able to grip it better. My DS's nappies have definitely changed so he must be eating some stuff. I will keep an eye on this thread as it's reassuring to see that around 8-10 months they start to get it.

Jojay Wed 06-Jul-11 21:58:40

I used to leave the skin on melon, yes. Just wash it first and they soon figure out which bits to eat

MamaChocoholic Wed 06-Jul-11 22:05:18

oh I leave the skin on everything. even grapes and cherry tomatoes (cut in half for safety) get sucked/chewed and the skin spat back out. just once I think I had to go in and remove a grape skin from the roof of a mouth when dt2 got distracted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now