Talk

Advanced search

9 month old throwing food

(5 Posts)
pleasethanks Tue 05-Jul-11 15:35:43

My 9 month old DD likes having finger foods and then, only, then can I spoon feed her. During most meals she drops lots of food over the side of the high chair, on purpose. She does this even with things she loves, so it isn't that she doesn't like the food. What is the best way to deal with it?

I have been saying 'no' sternly, but really, what should I be doing?

MamaChocoholic Tue 05-Jul-11 15:41:14

don't respond. she's learning about things falling to the floor (instead of the ceiling, say). give her some toys to drop too, but don't encourage/praise the dropping. hopefully she'll get bored of it. otherwise as she gets older and more able to understand consequences, you can get her to pick up what she drops. sorry not to be more help!

VeronicaCake Tue 05-Jul-11 17:45:11

Yup ignore ignore ignore. If you keep picking stuff up it becomes a very entertaining game.

DD (14m) only starts dropping stuff when she is already full. Then she gets a cheeky glint in her eye and starts dangling things over the side watching me to see if I'm going to catch her.

As MamaChoc says at 9m she is still learning about interesting stuff like gravity and this is all playing. So don't reward the behaviour with attention but don't get cross either.

Flisspaps Tue 05-Jul-11 17:47:41

Another one to say ignore.

See it as a messy Science lesson!

pleasethanks Tue 05-Jul-11 19:10:42

Thanks, will do. Better start making extra finger foods for compensate for all the ones that get chucked over the side.

There is a glint in her eye as she does it and she makes a little sound as she releases the food. Little monkey

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now