We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feeling sad after weaning from breastfeeding

(7 Posts)
PetitChou Wed 29-Jun-11 11:16:42

Many of you may not believe it but have just dropped my DD's bedtime feed at 15months. I have no doubt she would have happily continued but I thought it was about time and it would have only become more difficult the older she got. She seems to be absolutely fine about it but I feel so desperately sad to leave behind such a special part of our relationship.

Have many of you felt similarly? How long do these feelings last?

Many thanks for your thoughts xx

verylittlecarrot Wed 29-Jun-11 11:24:31

You say that "I thought it was about time"
But also "I feel so desperately sad"

Is it possible that your reasons for stopping are perhaps not as powerful as you originally thought? If you want to continue, that is a completely valid decision, you know! Many, many mothers decide to let things run their course happily to a natural conclusion. We don't always advertise that fact which means people don't realise this is quite normal.

PetitChou Wed 29-Jun-11 11:29:55

I agree, my reasons for stopping are not particularly strong. Maybe I should continue afterall?

verylittlecarrot Wed 29-Jun-11 11:47:05

Only you can decide of course, and you will find support here whatever you choose. But consider basing your decision only on you and your dd's needs and happiness. Other people's opinions are pretty irrelevant really (although they are often voiced loudly).

Loads of women just go with the flow - I'm one of them. I've found that when I mention I'm still breastfeeding, I've had relieved looks and "oh phew, me too"
'confessions' from other mothers more than once!

For me, I'm carrying on because ds loves it, I love it, it's doing him good, and me good, and makes us both really happy. Win win.

It's different for everyone, but in my case at least, a straightforward and happy decision.

verylittlecarrot Wed 29-Jun-11 11:49:35

What were your reasons for stopping? Do you want to weigh them up? It's sad that you are so sad.

worldgonecrazy Wed 29-Jun-11 11:53:45

I stopped around that age and it took a while for the sad feeling to go. I think there is a drop in hormones or something when we stop breastfeeding and it makes us feel sad.

I miss the ease of breastfeeding, there is nothing like it for calming a toddler, but we all have our own reasons for continuing or stopping.

I also miss being able to eat chocolate cake and not worry about calories.

shuffleballchange Sun 03-Jul-11 21:09:33

I stopped completely bf DS2 just before 6 months, it had been a long hard struggle at the beginning due to flat nipples and two nasty bouts of mastitis but I carried on because I had enjoyed it so much with DS1(bf fully until 6 months, partially to 9) and did eventually with DS2. I stopped because it was becoming harder to feed him if we were out and about because he would keep pulling off and have a nose around! Now the novelty of wearing an underwired bra again has worn off nearly a month later, I really miss it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now